By food contributor Brittany
With Easter on its way I thought I’d share a quick recipe to make for Easter brunch. These danishes can be made in under 30 minutes and are really pretty and impressive for any brunch. They can also be customized with any of your favorite fruits!
keep reading for the recipe… And if lemon blueberry is your thing you might want to try these Lemon Poppyseed Crepes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Filling too!
20-Minute Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Danish
makes 6 danishes
recipe adapted from here
1 sheet of puff pastry, unthawed
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2-3 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 egg, whisked
3 tbsp. water
powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Lay out a sheet of parchment paper big enough to fit the puff pastry sheet with a few inches to spare on each side. Lightly flour the parchment paper and roll puff pastry into a rectangle. Cut lengthwise once and then 2 times width wise creating 6 equal pieces.
2. With a knife, score the border of each puff pastry. Use a fork to make a couple pricks into the dough leaving about an inch border, as shown in the photo. This helps keep the middle of the pastry from rising.
3. In a bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and lemon juice. Spoon about 2-3 heaping tbsp. of mixture in the middle of each piece of dough and spread around evenly, making sure there is a good 1inch border around it. Evenly distribute the blueberries on each piece of dough lightly pressing down so they stay.
4. Transfer the parchment sheet with the pastries onto a cookie sheet. In a small dish, whisk together the egg and water making an egg wash. Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the mixture, this allows the edges to get golden and crispy.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown, rotate the baking sheet halfway through baking. Remove from baking sheet and cook on a wire rack. Top with lemon zest and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm or room temperature.
Unthawed puff pastry? How do I roll frozen pastry?
OMG this looks delicious! I wish I saw this before the weekend so I could play around with it. Hopefully on saturday I will have some time, anything with blueberries is worthy to experiment.
Comments are closed.