By food contributor Brittany
I love heart-shaped everything on Valentines Day, I say why not take the extra 5 minutes and make your day that much more fun and happy?! These chocolate pancakes are super fast to make and honestly I don’t think anyone will be opposed to a chocolate breakfast.
Keep reading for the recipe…
Heart Double Chocolate Pancakes
yields about 10 small heart pancakes
2 cups Pancake Mix (plus the water called for on the directions)*
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
an additional 1/4 c. of water
*And if you don’t have pancake mix on hand, I’ve tried this chocolate pancake recipe from scratch and these are great too!
There are so many ways to get heart shaped pancakes. If you have an empty, clean ketchup bottle you can fill it up with batter and really create any shape you’d like. You can also use a metal heart cookie cutter and skip the entire foil process. Just remember to oil/spray the cookie cutter so that it can easy be lifted when the pancake is ready.
1. Take heavy-duty foil and cut a 3-inch strip. Fold 1/2-inches about 3-4 times until sturdy. Cut a 1-inch piece and set aside.
2. Place in the heart cookie cutter and shape to the heart (or if you don’t have a heart shape you can create your own heart)!
3.Then take that 1-inch piece and wrap around the foil to keep the foil together
4. Combine the pancake mix, sugar, and cocoa powder
5. Add the water instructed on the pancake package instructions as well as an additional 1/4 c. of water
6. Stir in the chocolate chips until fully incorporated
7. Coat your pan or griddle with cooking spray and coat the inside of the foil heart.
8. Place the foil heart flat to the pan and pour in the pancake batter until 3/4 full.
9. Allow the batter to cook until you see bubbles appear in the middle of the pancake.
10. Once the bubbles appear remove the foil heart and flip the pancake.
Enjoy with lots of Valentine sprinkles, syrup, chocolate sauce and maybe even some pink whipped cream!