By food contributor Brittany
Peach season is in full blast right now and at this time of the year I always have bowls of ripe peaches ready to be eaten. Instead of making a classic peach cobbler, I decided to give these peaches ‘n cream bars a try. It was a total success, and I think I found my new favorite summer dessert! (but seriously). This recipe is super easy and most likely you already have everything in your kitchen!
keep reading for the recipe…
Peaches ’n’ Cream Bars
Makes 9 large bars
Crust & Topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold & cubed
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 medium peaches, peeled and chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
Vanilla Cream Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 8”x8” pan with foil leaving some overhanging for an easy lift out. Spray foil with cooking spray.
2. To make the crust/topping, get a large bowl and whisk the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg together. Cut in the cold butter cubes using a pastry cutter or two forks, until it is course, pea-sized crumbs. Remove 3/4 cup of the mixture, set aside and mix in pecans, this will be the topping.
3. Press the remaining oat mixture into your prepared greased pan until it is even and bake for 15 min.
4. To make the filling whisk the egg and sugar together until smooth. Add the flour and salt and whisk until combined. Fold in the chopped peaches. Remove the crust from the oven after 15 minutes and pour the filling over the hot crust. Sprinkle with the reserved topping mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes and then transfer to the refrigerator and allow it to chill for 2 hours before cutting it into squares (the hard part!)
5. To make the vanilla cream glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, cream and vanilla extract together until smooth and drizzle over each square. You can store the bars in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.