By food contributor Sarah
Valentines Day is about acknowledging those you love – maybe it’s with flowers, chocolates, or a sweet note but I think a homemade treat from your own kitchen is the utmost romantic gesture.
These Heart Shaped Soft Pretzels with Pink Salt are a great gift for the special guy in your life as they are more masculine than candy but are still lovey-dovey enough to make the day special. Wrap them up with a jar of fancy mustard and a bear of honey for dipping and you’ve hit a home run.
Heart Shaped Soft Pretzels with Pink Salt
makes about 15 depending on size
1 and 1/2 cups warm water
1 packet active yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
4 – 4.5 cups flour (I used a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and all purpose for more bite)
1 large egg
Course sea salt for sprinkling, either Hawaiian red salt or Himalayan pink salt (you can find these at upscale markets and most Whole Foods)
1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water using a wooden spoon. Stir in salt and sugar. Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time, while mixing with a wooden spoon. Add enough flour so the dough is no longer sticky.
3. Plop the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes then shape into a ball.
4. Grab a small handful of dough – about 3 tablespoons and using your hands, roll it into a snake. Fold the coil into a heart and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Brush the pretzels with egg and sprinkle with red or pink salt.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 425F degrees. Turn the oven to broil for the last 5 minutes to brown the tops. Watch closely to avoid burning.
7. Allow to cool slightly then serve warm or at room temperature with mustard and honey for dipping. Pretzels may be stored in an airtight container or zipped top bag for up to 4 days (will lose softness). Pretzels freeze well.