You can see the first post in our series here, where we showed before shots and the plan for updating the space. The first step was removing the clown wallpaper. At first we thought we could just strip it off and possibly even save a section to frame (because, man it’s pretty epic), but we found out quickly that not only was there not insulation underneath, but there wasn’t even drywall! It was just laid on top of a type of fiber board. So that entire wall needed to come down and be rebuilt properly with insulation and drywall.
We weren’t strangers to handling new drywall, Jared had to deal with that in the downstairs bathroom project he worked on. It was pretty straight forward. After demolishing the wall, insulation was added, and then sheetrock and then it was taped and mudded to cover holes and cracks. I was so excited about getting insulation in there to help with heating down in the basement laundry room and studio space attached!
The drywall mud takes a couple days to dry, so we were able to start giving the whole room a fresh coat of paint (waiting for the new wall for the very last). We needed to paint the walls, ceiling, and the cabinets. For the cabinets were prepped with an oil-based primer from KILZ. It’s a bit unusual to do an oil based primer but from people we spoke with, it’s a good idea for old/unfinished surfaces, blocking stains, priming, and sealing surfaces. You can use regular latex paint on top of it.
For cabinets, the best route was to use an airless paint sprayer. We debated back on forth on purchasing a pro one (have heard the hand held ones aren’t really worth it) vs hiring out this part of the project and ended up hiring someone to help who owned a machine. Often there are tools that can be rented through The Home Depot, but the airless paint sprayer wasn’t one that was offered through our store, so it was more cost effective to hire someone else who had one to do it.
For the final coats we used Behr Premium Plus paint. We did a color match with the rest of our downstairs white so there was some consistency through the rooms. Have you done color matching before at The Home Depot? You bring in any old paint can you have or even a piece of trim with paint on it. You only need about a square inch chip for them to match. It’s kind of amazing how it all works! They scan it and then come up with a color in the brand of your choice. Next they paint it on, and dry it to make sure it’s just perfect. When we first moved into our home we did a lot of color matching to make small changes to current rooms or touch up spots after replacing lighting and other appliances. We ended doing 2 coats of paint on top of the primer. The new washer and dryer had arrived (more on that in the final post) so we had to cover them up during the painting.
The last big part of this project was removing the old linoleum and laying down new flooring. We ordered big 12 x 12 black and white checkered squares of linoleum through the The Home Depot (you have to order the black and white squares separately FYI). Then we got to work removing the old flooring. It was a bit of a pain (took maybe a whole day of work just in removal) because it was in such bad shape and the glue underneath needed to be soaked and scraped. It reminded us of the glue residue from the hardwood floor project we did in October.
After everything was removed the new flooring was really simple to lay down. They’re really affordable at only .63 cents a square foot (!!) and really classic looking. The best part? They’re peel and stick! The only tricky part was getting everything lined up perfectly and also cutting out sections against the wall and appliances. Such a satisfying part of the job to see it all come together in a nice checkered pattern.
One last finish touch was creating shelving in the empty built in above the dryer, and the large cupboard on the right. Jared screwed in the lower support brackets into studs, and then used a nail gun to secure the shelves on top. I love how it looks built into the wall, he did such a great job on these! I gave it a good caulk and paint job, and then it looked like those shelves had always been there!
Another last touch was adding new hardware to the cabinets. There are so many options to choose from The Home Depot, and many more options online too. In general, unless you’re buying raw materials I always look online first (and especially for decor pieces which are primarily online). We ended up going for these modern sleek black drawer pulls. The holes did have to be re-drilled as they weren’t exactly the same length. We learned the hard way with our white kitchen project that often it’s hard to find the perfect pull for your hole size, so it’s best to fit the pull to your cabinet and re-drill in the long run.
Excited to share with you the final reveal of our new laundry room space next week with the decor pieces! The transformation is so exciting.
Thanks to The Home Depot for sponsoring this post.