Last month we pulled up the carpet and refinished hardwood floors in the girls room and master bedroom in partnership with The Home Depot. In case you missed it, last week we shared the beginning process, and today we’re sharing how we sanded and coated them for a nice finish. Want to see how it went?
We were lucky enough to find the floors to be in pretty good shape under the layer of carpet and padding. There was a good amount of residue from the carpet padding, particularly in the master bedroom. After soaking and scrubbing it, but there were still a lot of stains left behind.
Next, it was time to get serious with the refinishing. Our plan was to rent a drum floor sander, an edge sander, and then apply coats of polyurethane, a clear coat, to the floors.
We headed to the tool rental section of The Home Depot to rent a drum floor sander and edge sander and pick up some more supplies. It’s really easy rent tools there, have you tried it before? You don’t need any kind of reservation, but you can check out what your local store has beforehand online here. I had only heard of people renting carpet cleaning machines through the tool rental department at The Home Depot, but there are all kinds of other types of machinery you can rent from lawn mowers, chain saws and other outdoor tools, to huge moving and lifting equipment. In addition, any and all handheld power tools that you might need. The rental options range from 4 hours to one day, two days, a week, even up to 4 weeks. It’s really reasonable too. I think the tool rental we did for the day was under $100.
This was also the point where we enlisted the help of my sister, Katrina, and my brother in law, Quinn. They had some experience using the professional sanders, and offered to help give us some guidance for the weekend. After watching my fair share of Youtube tutorials (some a bit terrifying), I knew it would make a big difference to have someone help out who had some experience using these big machines.
We were SO happy to have them! Also, it made it fun to work as a team of four adults, taking turns working the machines, sweeping up after it passed through, watching the kids, picking up food etc. Yeah for (adult) team work!
Quinn had used these machines before, and after showing us how to operate it, it wasn’t too hard at all-just a bit intimidating if we hadn’t had any guidance. The sanding could really do some damage to the floors if you aren’t careful. I’d recommend getting some instruction before tackling it completely on your own.
You can see the difference here between the part that was newly sanded and the un-sanded stained floors. A fresh sanding made a huge difference (this photo here was just after one pass).
Afterwards, we added three coats of oil based Polyeurothane for a clear coat. This was applied with a pole and foam brush in the direction of the wood grain, and we waiting a few hours between each coat.
I took the kids out of the house for the day we did the clear coat. It was really stinky and even with the windows open it was a few days before we moved our beds back in and slept in our rooms.
Overall the process was fairly straightforward, but absolutely an intense amount of work. About 4 days total (2 weekends for us). It certainly isn’t perfect, but we’re please with how it turned out and it was honestly such a rewarding and empowering experience to do it ourselves! It makes such a difference to have the carpet gone and these beautiful hardwood floors. Hooray! Next, we’ll share a little room reveal for the girls room. Stay tuned for that in a couple weeks!