By food contributor Brittany
Halloween is almost here and whether you’re trick-or-treating with the kids, throwing a party
for the adults, or just watching a scary movie… these eerie lava cakes can end off Halloween night with a hit!
These look like a more sophisticated dessert but don’t let the molten lava cakes scare you! This recipe is fool-proof and
can impress anyone. Recipe below….
Red-Velvet Molten Lava Cakes
1 pkg. (4oz.) Bakers semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 c. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
2 whole eggs (room temp.)
2 egg yolks (room temp.)
6 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. red food coloring (or more for a more vibrant red)
1. Heat oven to 425F.
2. Butter 4 small custard cups and place on a baking sheet.
3. Heat chocolate & butter in a large bowl in the microwave or over a double broiler until melted and combined. Stir in sugar.
4. Wait for the chocolate sauce to cool enough so that it doesn’t scramble the eggs.
5. Add 2 whole eggs & 2 egg yolks in a separate bowl and add a touch of the chocolate sauce to temper it.
6. Add the eggs to the rest of the chocolate and combine. Stir in flour and spoon into prepared cups.
7. Bake 12 min until sides are firm and centers are soft.
8. Carefully run small spatula/knife around the cakes to loosen and flip onto serving plates. Serve Warm.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 c. heavy cream
1. Roughly chop chocolate and place in bowl.
2. Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat and pour over chocolate and whisk until combined and smooth.
4. Allow ganache to cool slightly for it to thicken before pouring over cake.
For Spun Sugar recipe & instructions visit this link here.
And don’t forget to top with a creepy crawly spider!!