In addition to learning, listening, and speaking up in support of Black lives, we can do so much more to support Black owned businesses in many creative ways. Here are a few ideas on how…
Get takeout from local black owned restaurants.
If you’re local to the bay area I’d recommend Brown Sugar Kitchen (my image here- it’s beautiful inside, can’t wait to go back) for traditional southern cooking, and It’s All Good Bakery for sweet potato pie (also the original headquarters of the Black Panther Party).
Donate to a local repair fund for Black-owned businesses impacted by COVID-19
If you’re local to the bay area, I’d recommend Oakland Indie Alliance Business Repair Fund with a priority to BIPOC businesses.
Buy from black owned clothing, home, and accessory brands
(we’re working on a stand alone roundup of this)
A few favorites:
- a.a.k.s : colorful handbags made in Ghana
- Aliya Wanek: one of my favorite shops for women’s clothing (image here and above)
- Satori Notes Jewelry for beautiful pieces (current fav is the CEO,OOO,OOO bracelet)
- Dear Curves for plus sized women’s fashion
- Linoto bed linens are just lovely
- Clare Paint for interior paint and other supplies
- Scent and Fire candle company
Choose a Black owned winery for your wine club and wine tasting
In the bay area I’d recommend Brown Estate which I’ve been a member of (image here from when my sister and I visited last summer). The tasting room is incredible too, if you’re in downtown Napa I’d highly recommend stopping for a visit.
Would love to hear your ideas and recommended Black owned businesses as well!