It’s crazy how quickly Thanksgiving comes after Halloween. I’m already making plans (my sister is coming out!) and reviewing favorite recipes and thought what better way to start the holiday baking craziness than with a set of handmade linen potholders. These would be a lovely hostess gift for Thanksgiving or a holiday present to an avid baker on your list.
Keep reading to see how we made them…
Photography by Liz Stanley. Assisted by Sara Albers and Sarah Iveson
1. Cut two pieces of linen 9 inches by 9 inches and also two pieces of fusible batting, like this stuff or the fleece kind in the same dimensions. Iron one piece of batting onto each piece of linen.
2. Put right sides together and pin around the edges.
3. Sew along the edges leaving a 3 inch hole on one side.
4. Pull the right sides through and iron it flat.
5. Make a final seam around the potholder, closing up the hole on one side.
6. Mark with chalk where you want your quilting design to go (you can make any design you want, we went with this modern one). Then sew along those lines.