Classic Christmas stockings are a tricky find and can cost a pretty penny for the ones you really want. Plus there’s the issue of adding on to your set as years pass. Do you have to find the same ones? What if they’re discontinued or if Grandma’s stops making them because there are too many grand kids to count?
That’s why making your own set is my preferred method. I had fun experimenting with wool felting and came up with three ideas for handmade felted stockings. They each took under 45 minutes (compare that to about 8 hours to knit one) and I thought the result was really cute.
Also, Because I already have a set I knitted this past year, I’m giving these three to one of you. In case you or someone you know needs stockings and you don’t have time to make them yourself. Be advised, these are handmade and not perfect!
To enter, just pin an image from this post + leave a comment before Sunday night 10pm PST. Good luck!
Keep reading to see how to make these three felted Christmas stockings (in case you don’t get lucky and win them)…
Final images by Liz Daly
For the multicolored striped stocking:
1. Draw out your stocking shape onto scrap paper and cut out two pieces onto cotton fabric
2. Pin down two strips of paper to block off the area you want to felt.
3. Pick out the wool felt you want to use, lay the fabric down onto a thick styrofoam board and start jabbing the felt into the fabric with a felting needle. (PS I just bought this beginning felting set and it worked great)
4. Keep jabbing (each stripe took me about 10 minutes or so) until it’s matted down with little dots.
5. Continue with the next stripe.
6. Iron the back side first and then the front until the dots kind of disappear.
7. Sew the two sides together, right sides together and then turn inside out. Sew on a little loop (mine was with cute bias tape).
For the red stocking:
Follow the directions above but block off the top 4 inches, the heel and the toe with paper and pins the way I showed above to felt those specific areas. Remember to felt before you sew the sides together.
Green felt ball stocking:
This one was so easy! No felting required, just a few felted balls you can pick up from your local craft store or etsy. I just hand sewed each one onto the stocking. DONE! 15 minutes.