Last year I made a striped beach tote and this year I found some perfect purple striped canvas weight fabric at my local fabric outlet for only $4 a yard and knew I wanted to make another version.
Would you like to learn how to make one too? Okay! Keep reading!
1. Cut two pieces of striped fabric about 17 x 17, heavier weight fabric is better. Sew along the right and left sides (red arrows above).
2. Fold it so the seam you just sewed is in the middle, iron it flat and sew straight across the bottom
3. Pinch and fold the corners into a triangle, measure about 2 inches from the point and sew a vertical line at that point (where the red arrow is). Cut off the excess triangle.
4. Now you’ll do the same thing with a lining fabric (I just used a muslin type fabric) except leave about 3” open at the bottom to turn right side out.
5. Now put the two bags right side together inside each other and pin along the top, then sew them together all the way around the top.
6.Reach through the bottom hole, bring the striped fabric through and turn them both right side out. Now measure from the bottom to top including a handle to make the straps. Each of my straps measured 40 inches including seam allowance.
7. Cut two pieces of 40” (or whatever measurement you just came up with) x about 4”. Fold them each in half and sew the loooong way and one short way. Turn them each inside out.
8. Pin them on either side of the bag starting underneath and sew two lines as indicated up each strap stopping at the top of the bag.
9. Lastly, fold the handle on itself, starting about 1 1/2 inches above the top of the bag, pin and sew along the pins.