Tomorrow afternoon Jared and I leave for our month long trip. I can’t wait. 🙂 There are a few small things I’ve done to prepare.
1. I started reading a book called “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryon
which is about a man who hikes the Appalacian Trail. Jared snatched it before I got into it too far but he promised I could read it on the plane. It’s clever but makes me more terrified of bears.
2. Yesterday I bought a road atlas at CVS for the US and Canada. I’ve always wanted to get one. I don’t know why I’ve been holding off spending the $15.
3. At my school where I work I checked out a couple books on tape “The Bridges of Madison County” and “The Secret Life of Bees”. I love listening to books on tape especially on long drives. I also got a book on tape I’ve heard really good things about called “Lies at the Altar: The Truth about Good Marriages“. Jared WILL listen to this one so he can change all those things I’ve been telling him about (JK).
4. I’m trying to eat every perishable thing in the fridge. This morning Jared brought to work a ham and cheese sandwich and cut up mango for lunch (I think he brings food from home once a year). I also had a ham sandwich for breakfast and will probably have another one for dinner along with some broccoli, sundried tomatoes, jalapenos, and ricotta cheese (I’ll have to think more about how to make all that yummy). Last summer there was a power outage and our fridge was turned off for a couple weeks before we got home. SO GROSS.
5. Bought and filled mini bottles for shampoo/conditioner/face lotion/and aloe after sun lotion (which is much better than just aloe fyi) so I don’t have to bring the huge economy size bottles.
6. Cleaned the nalgene bottles that I bring to the gym every day but don’t remember the last time I washed (not sure I ever have, to be honest).
7. We’ve been stocking up on Ice Hut combo coolers, hitting the spot almost every night this week. We’ll probably go tonight too just to make sure we’re sick of it enough to not miss it too much. mmmm… combo cooler… mmmmmm
8. I’m doing some mental and physical preparation for ‘roughing it’. Yesterday we were running the washing machine and the dishwasher at the same time so I ended up in a cold shower. Although I initially jumped out and whinned waiting for it to warm up (which it didn’t), I DID end up rinsing off in the freezing water- eventually.
I can’t wait for our trip.
I hope we get to canoe on a glacier lake like this one in Banff.