• Our Favorite Classic Picturebooks

seventhgen17sm

One question I get asked a lot from readers are ideas for baby shower gifts. I’ve done a post on it before, but I keep coming back to classic children’s books as my favorite gifts for a new baby (especially a first baby). Here are 15 classic ones, many that were favorites of mine as a child…

classic kids books

Goodnight Moon
    Swimmy
    The Little Engine that Could
    The Giving Tree
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Corduroy

Any classic children’s books that you’d recommend? Also, some survival tips for reading books with toddlers.

1. Susan Magnolia said… August 4, 2017 9:05 pm

Richard Scarry books were mine and my daughters favorite books of all time. I would add Jamberry, Moonbear and Each Peach Pear Plum as classic picture books we love. Frog and Toad and Little Bear are great first short chapter stories. Orlando’s Little While Friends is a great book that I loved from my childhood that really helped my little one make friends.

2. Laura said… August 4, 2017 6:22 am

Classics our kids have loved and we give for gifts are Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, Each Peach Pear Plum, and The Gruffalo for a slightly newer classic.

3. Liz said… August 3, 2017 10:53 am

What is the book in the main photograph?

4. Polly W Hitchcock said… August 2, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks for the toddler tips! I get discouraged by the running off to go do something else… I’ve been slacking on reading lately too. This has inspired me. Another few of our favorites are The little engine that could and The fur family. But my toddler is super into Richard Scarry’s books, mainly the big ones that don’t really have a plot. Kind of boring, but he loves them.

• Liz Stanley said… August 3, 2017 11:17 pm

We just read The Little Engine That Could last night at my parents home. Such a classic!

5. Kate said… August 2, 2017 1:59 pm

These are all definitely classics! Corduroy is one of my toddler’s favorites at the moment.

Kate

• Liz Stanley said… August 3, 2017 11:20 pm

Corduroy is such a sweet book!

6. Paige Flamm said… August 2, 2017 10:15 am

We recently just purchased Madeline and Corduroy for $1 on clearance at Kohls and they are such warm welcomes to our family Library! My kids love them!

Paige

7. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog said… August 2, 2017 5:34 am

This is super cute, I’ve always loved Dr. Seuss! I have a friend who’s having a baby soon, so I’m glad I saw this.

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog