• Searching for the best Healthy Snack Bars: A Taste Test

bars2

I’m always looking for an easy + healthy snack bar when we’re rushing out the door and I realized I haven’t eaten anything (yikes!). Luckily, there are a million different bars to choose from! So, our team did a taste test of over 15 different brands to try and find our very favorites. Here are the results…

bars1

There were a few things we considered when we selected the 15 to try. One, it couldn’t be a treat bar, it had be at least mostly healthy. So we looked at bars with protein, greens, raw bars, and/or mostly nuts. Second, it had to be available at our local stores (local grocery stores, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods).  Here’s what we came up with for our favorites:

bars

Our Top Five:

1. LARABAR Fruits and Greens: We all really liked this strawberry and greens one. It’s a new flavor and tastes like a really substantial fruit leather bar with added nuts and greens to be more filling. I also love the LARABAR peanut butter chocolate chip one. It’s more of a meal replacement, but it’s really good and filling!

2. KIND Dark chocolate sea salt. Okay, so it’s a little sweet but it’s mostly raw nuts and dark chocolate. That’s way better than most chocolate bars! And it really was delicious.

3. RX Bar: The simplicity of the ingredients is really fresh. Soft, mild chocolate taste and nutty. Plus, really filling.

4. GO MACRO Sunflower and Chocolate. For a protein bar, this is our favorite option. Very filling and lots of great ingredients for a a meal replacement.

5. Trader Joe’s Chia Bar. Might be my favorite Trader Joes Bar with almonds, cranberries, & pumpkin seeds. Really healthy and very good!

Honorable Mentions:

1. Trader Joe’s Nuts and Sea Salt. This was is similar to the KIND bar but it’s a little sweeter. It’s mostly nuts, although not as healthy as the others. It’s really good though!

2. PRO BAR Superfood: a really filling intensely fruity bar that is great for a meal replacement

Do you have a favorite bar you love when you’re rushing out the door?

1. metal beads said… June 17, 2017 6:08 am

Very interesting post. It is so helpful. Thanks for sharing it.

2. Mike Gregory said… June 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for sharing your best choice! Larabars is my favorite too!

3. Cool Ass Links said… June 16, 2017 7:52 am

[…] yoga teacher and blogger, I am always on the go so I often need bites to keep my from starving. The bloggess of Say Yes did us all a favor and gives us: the best of the best bars on the go. PS. My fav of all time is the chocolate and sea salt Rx […]

4. Molly Garvin said… June 15, 2017 7:46 pm

RX Bars are the beeeeeest!

5. Katy said… June 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Kind’s maple glazed pecan and sea salt is my everyday lunch. No shame. 13g carbs (diabetic, not dieting). Perfectly salty and seeet and crunch without a sugar overload like many bars seem to have.

6. Paige said… June 15, 2017 10:09 am

We LOVE kind bars in our house! I’l have to try Larabars soon! I can’t believe they’ve been around practically my entire life and for some reason I’ve still never had one!

Paige

7. Jen said… June 15, 2017 10:03 am

May I suggest Picky Bars? They’re delicious and packed with quality ingredients.

8. Bobbekay said… June 15, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks. This is very helpful

9. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog said… June 15, 2017 5:33 am

I have yet to find my favourite bar. I like the sound of Larabars and Quest bars, but they’re really hard to find here in Hong Kong, and when I do find them, their prices are hiked way up. 🙁

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Liz Stanley said… June 15, 2017 9:10 am

Oh, interesting! That’s a bummer they hike them up, but I bet you also get lots of other deals there we don’t get!