Pretty wrapped packages make everyone happy. Today we’re partnering with Martha Stewart’s line of holiday decor at Home Depot to share two favorite ways to tie a big, oversized holiday bow for all the special gifts this season. Here’s how…
The Martha Stewart line of holiday ribbon at Home Depot comes in a variety of patterns and styles. I love the red and green velvet ones. They make even a simple gift seem super luxurious. You can see the Martha Stewart video on decorating with ribbon right here. Today, we’re taking a stab at it ourselves! Stephanie, my photo assistant here at Say Yes, used to work wrapping presents at a fancy store in Berkeley so she’s got a couple tips to take your ribbon tying skills to the next level.
First up, The Classic Bow
- 1. Turn your package upside down and wrap in a criss cross, tightly before turning it over to the front side.
- 1. When turned to the front side, give it a good pull so it’s tight.
- 1. Make an M shape that’s even on both sides, flip the one side over and tighten
- 1. Trim to your desired length!
- 1. To measure and amount of ribbon you need, tie the ribbon around the side of the package and pull it up until it’s 3x the height of the package. Then add another 1-2 feed, depending on how big you want your ribbon and how much you want of the ends of the ribbon you want falling off the package.
Step 1: Make small loop, then flip around and twist the ribbon so the right sides are facing up
Step 2: Make another small loop next to the first, flip around and twist again
Step 3: Keep going until you have 5 loops
Step 4: Using a piece of wire from a piece of ribbon scrap, stick it through the middle loop and through the back to tie them all together
Step 5: Cut to desired length after placing on package
Step 6: Cut another piece of ribbon the same length and attach using the same wire piece on the back
Pro Tip: We like to use as much of the ribbon pieces as you can to put the bow together. That way, the style remains consistent with the bow and makes your job easier so you’re not searching for wire or extra string.
Tape onto your gift and Ta Dah! Ready to gift