• A Lego Storage Idea

brilliant lego storage idea

I have love/hate relationship with legos. They are creative and imaginative and Henry’s favorite toy, so of course we have a million around. But, they are so much plastic and I struggle with storage for them! They take up a lot of space and never manage to get fully picked up at the end of the day.  I can’t tell you how terrible they are to step on in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom. Do they have to have so many sharp edges??

Today I’m sharing an idea to make lego storage fun and also attractive. I saw something like this once in a home tour from a magazine months ago, I think it might have been an old Domino? I thought it was so brilliant that I had to try something similar myself.

lego storage idea

Keep reading to see more…

The sorting was actually really fun. It took maybe 30 minutes and it’s a great thing that kids can help with as well. Preschool and young grade school kids love sorting. It’s a healthy brain activity for them so win win!

legos3

We placed them in different shaped plastic vases (just bought from Target). Henry found the sorted legos immediately and made me my own White House and then an all red plane. I think kids like a little order too!

legos2

Any brilliant ideas around attractive lego storage? I’d love to hear your ideas!

Photography by Liz Stanley. Assisted by Sarah Iveson and Ashley Aikele. Pretty lights by Bright Lab

This post around home efficiency and storage ideas is sponsored by Cottonelle in celebration of their brand new space and time saving MegaRoll

1. Danielle said… September 9, 2015 10:46 am

Does anyone find these actually easy for the child to use? My sister did something similar and I found it impossible to play with my nephew when he was looking for a specific piece, given how extensive his collections are by color.

2. Michelle said… August 30, 2015 3:58 pm

This is brilliance!!!

3. Michelle said… August 25, 2015 10:39 am

I love this idea. And love that it’s an activity my 4 year old can help with. Lord knows mama will take any help she can get. Lol. This is a must try!

4. CathyW, said… August 24, 2015 1:38 pm

looks fantastic. Just went to three Targets and Bed, Bath & Beyond. No plastic/acrylic vases. If anyone find some cite your source?! thanks.

• Liz Stanley said… August 24, 2015 9:23 pm

Oh bummer! I just did a quick search on google for ‘acrylic vases’ and found a bunch of options!

5. Lorena said… August 24, 2015 9:36 am

I LOVE it! It’s great for the living room, because so aesthetic 😉 I have used baskets but my son can’t find anything and just flips the basket on the floor. I’m going to try the clear vase idea ;). Where did you find the clear plastic vases?

• Liz Stanley said… August 24, 2015 9:18 pm

I bought them from Target!

6. Sally from Little Hiccups said… August 24, 2015 9:20 am

This looks so good, but oh boy would we need a LOT of vases to fit all of the different colored Lego my kids have!

• Liz Stanley said… August 24, 2015 9:29 am

Yeah, but it was a fun process, honestly! And you could also put multiple colors together like grey and white and green and yellow. it would still look good!

• Trish O said… August 24, 2015 9:49 am

I agree. It is cute, but we would need like 500 of these vases. Do you think that is a sign we have too many Legos? Lots of kids in my house and more Legos come in every birthday and christmas.

My kids are older (middle school) but we have kept our million of sets in large plastic ziploc bags for years. We then put the bags in baskets on the shelf. I stand the bags up so they can grab the bag they want. Some of my kids sort by set and keep a set all together. Some sort by color (like above). Some don’t sort but just chuck them in. Not as cute but has worked to control our serious lego addiction.

7. Paige said… August 24, 2015 9:18 am

I love that those vases are plastic so that they won’t break, but they also look super pretty from a design standpoint!

Paige

8. In Triplicate said… August 24, 2015 8:22 am

I was going to ask the same…where do I find these vases?

• Liz Stanley said… August 24, 2015 9:28 am

I found the plastic vases from Target!

9. Amy W said… August 24, 2015 6:56 am

So brilliant! Love this and it looks pretty, too.

10. Gab said… August 24, 2015 5:46 am

Of course I have to ask– where do I get the plastic holders?