• DIY Back to School Paint Chip Calendar

paint chip calendar office depot

Henry takes after me in that he likes having a schedule and knowing what’s coming up. As a back to school project I thought it would be fun to create a family calendar together that he can help decorate as our routine starts back up and our fall plans start solidifying.

paint chip calendar office depot

He has a wonderful teacher this year who focuses a lot on schedules and the class calendar (I’d recommend watching stories of inspiring teachers on Office Depot’s youtube channel too if you have a minute). Because of this, I thought a family calendar this would be a fun extension of what he was already doing in his classroom. Inspired by all the pretty sharpie colors and paint chips we rolled up our sleeves and got started…

I received these products to help facilitate this review and was compensated by Office Depot for my time. Check out Office Depot for more info about #TeachersChangeLives and a discount on some of my favorite products I used in this post.

Photography by Liz Stanley. Assisted by Sara Albers

paint chip calendar office depot

Supplies:

Sharpie finepoint markers
    Sharpie chisel top markers
    Papermate inkjoy pens
    Corkboard
    Round pushpins
    Scissors
    Paint chips
    Card stock

paint chip calendar office depot

Step 1: Cut a bunch of paint chips and decide on a color scheme for that month.

paint chip calendar office depot

Step 2: Writing on card stock with the thick Sharpie chisel top markers and Sharpie finepoint markers, we wrote the month and days of the week, and days of the month onto the paint chip pieces. I love the versatility of being to write big bold strokes (for the month) and small thin strokes for the days and other details.

paint chip calendar office depot

Step 3: We used the round pushpins to secure the pieces to the board and started to decorate the days with the Papermate injoy pens and Sharpie finepoint markers.

paint chip calendar office depot

Step 4: Hang it on the wall to enjoy. Decorating and cutting paint chips will be a fun project to do with Henry at the beginning of each coming month. We are both looking forward to it!

paint chip calendar office depot

1. My Corner Office | Always Anita said… September 15, 2014 6:05 am

[…] sentimental. I can’t help it! That mug and I have been through a lot together. I used this paint chip calendar as inspiration for my own, which I love! I ended up “laminating” each paint chip with […]

2. obviously people filling said… September 13, 2014 5:01 am

I blog frequently and I seriously thank you for your information. This great article has really peaked my interest.
      I am going to book mark your blog and keep checking for new details about once
      a week. I opted in for your Feed too.

3. Sophie said… September 10, 2014 7:51 am

If you didn’t want to cut up paint chips every month, you could even cover the chips in sticky back plastic, making them into mini whiteboards and use with dry erase markers. Then just wipe off the info at the end of every month.

4. 12 Cutest DIY Paint Chip Projects - GleamItUp said… September 9, 2014 2:51 am

[…] via sayyes.com […]

5. Alina Ermilova said… September 6, 2014 10:24 pm

I LOVE this idea! So smart!

ALINA ERMILOVA

6. The Weekender: 6 September | Tinseltown Times said… September 6, 2014 5:41 pm

[…] DIY: Paint Chip calendar […]

7. Unrequired Reading: | Dormify said… September 5, 2014 8:45 am

[…] this calendar made from recycled paint chips and a cork board. You can even design one in a frame to create a […]

8. […] is so cool: Make your own school calendar with a cork board, tacks, and paint chips! I’m making one for my […]

9. Alexandra said… September 3, 2014 4:31 pm

This is adorable! I love how it’s kid friendly and can be edited so easily. Thank you for sharing!

Warm Regards,
      Alexandra

10. i.s. said… September 3, 2014 1:26 pm

such a clever idea! xo

11. Lucy said… August 28, 2014 6:40 am

Leftover chips from a paint project, sure, absolutely! But otherwise, chips are not really “free.” Someone pays for them — the paint companies who budget for making an amount of chips to provide in good faith to those who are shopping for paint.

12. beAndbe said… August 27, 2014 1:41 pm

I just adore this project!

13. wendy said… August 26, 2014 9:37 am

Such a beautiful way to celebrate the family calendar. Pretty choices too. I love the discussion on instagram too. So many ways to support teachers

14. Stel // Stel Style said… August 25, 2014 11:32 pm

very original and nice idea!!!

15. Chrissy said… August 25, 2014 8:36 am

Such a lovely idea, perfect for decorating too!

16. Teresa said… August 25, 2014 8:32 am

Yet another beautiful project! Love the color combination you choose too.

17. kristin @ W [H] A T C H said… August 25, 2014 5:55 am

love this idea — so inexpensive!

• Liz Stanley said… August 25, 2014 12:02 pm

I agree, always nice to use those paint chip pieces!