• Secrets of Stylish Moms: Emily

stylishmoms2-emily
    Hi guys! I’m starting a fun new series I’m excited about called Secrets of Stylish Moms. You know,  you see a mom at the park rocking a military jacket with a messy top knot, suede booties and perfectly ripped jeans- all while fully enjoying a game of hide and go seek with her 4  yr old with a sandy string cheese in one hand and an infant on the opposite hip.  You want to pull her aside and ask her a million questions about how she does it. Well we’re doing that here! I’m hunting down some of my favorite stylish moms and finding out their secrets.

First up! I think we can all agree the Small Fry gals all have impeccable style and taste. Today we’re finding out all about how Emily of Small Fry (whose worked on a bunch of my fashion shoot posts as a stylist) pulls it all together with two toddlers in tow….

The look:

Tell us about this super cool outfit and those crush-worthy effortless waves!
    I live for a good dress any time of year. As long as they have a good stretch (like this dress) or a flowing unrestricted fit, I think they’re just as versatile as a t-shirt and jeans when you’re wrangling kids. I also almost always go for a bootie over a flat or a sneaker. It’s polished but still comfortable. I’m most drawn to that undone rocker vibe and find myself looking for it in even the most basic pieces. A black body con with two giant eagles, a canvas coat with fur and leather, and booties with cut-outs and buckles and I’m feeling most like myself. All of these pieces can be worn in the colder months or as it warms up and I put a lot of value in that.
    For my beauty routine, I usually air-dry my hair, it’s found some nice wave since having kids (it used to be stick straight. Pregnancy, you weird.) Then if I have the time I’ll add a few loose waves around my face with a tapered curling wand. Then especially during Springtime, I love a coral-colored lip balm like Baby Lips Coral Crush. I love a coral lip on pretty much any color of skin and hair and it’s a nice unexpected punch of color for little effort.

What is one favorite piece in your wardrobe that is both practical for a mother and stylish?
    I think shoes are the best investment for a wardrobe. Having classic tops and pants that carry through multiple seasons and then buying shoes that are on-trend, fresh and exciting, add new life to what you already have in your closet. So, I tend to spend much of my wardrobe budget on shoes. As a mom, I find myself drawn to a good bootie. If it has interesting cut-outs, buckles or a cool animal print pattern, even better. It’s comfortable, I can chase my wild boys, but I still feel like my outfit is saying something.

What would you consider your go-to ‘momiform’ to be?
    I love a good boyfriend fit tee with a slim pair of ankle skimmer jeans, maybe with a few holes for some edge and an interesting pair of shoes. Be it a bright sneaker, an edgy pair of boots, or some embellished sandals, that seems to be my go-to.

Thanks so much Emily for jump starting our Secrets of Stylish Moms series! Find Emily at Small Fry, a kids lifestyle blog.
    Graphics by Ashley Aikele

1. Janssen said… March 9, 2014 7:50 pm

I’m super excited about this new series (and Emily is the perfect one to kick it off!). Can’t wait to see who else you feature.

2. cortney said… March 6, 2014 6:52 pm

yay! i love it went mom’s dish their style how-to. i’m with emily all the way a great comfortable shoe, jeans and a tee, you can’t go wrong. these days i’m finding myself in either a leather, denim or camo jacket – tried and true!

3. Becki said… March 4, 2014 8:39 am

So cute! I love when people care to show their style. It doesn’t really take any more time, just care. I LOVE the dress, and feel the same about dresses, especially anytime except freezing winter. I am sad it is out of stock. I would have ordered right now.

• Liz Stanley said… March 4, 2014 9:27 am

I agree! Bumping it up on your priority list will make a difference!

4. Everyday Mamattire | Small Fry said… March 4, 2014 6:41 am

[…] sent Emily over to Say Yes to share her favorite everyday “Momiform” or Mamattire as we’ve coined it here on […]

5. Valerie said… March 3, 2014 3:55 pm

Ooh love her style!

6. Mandy said… March 3, 2014 1:15 pm

Absolutely love this idea! Thanks for sharing and starting with such a great first mom!

7. Hilary said… March 3, 2014 1:12 pm

This is such a great new series you are doing! I love getting to peek into other mom’s lives and see how they incorporate fashion into their lifetsyle! I look forward to reading the next post in this series!

@shopwhiteplum

8. Melissa said… March 3, 2014 11:40 am

I love this series! I’m also loving Emily’s momiform. I feel like I find myself in a target v-neck tee, skinnies with rips and booties about every day lately. So easy! Can’t wait to read about more momiforms :)

• Liz Stanley said… March 3, 2014 1:30 pm

Yes, sounds like my momiform too!

9. heidiandluke said… March 3, 2014 11:12 am

Such a great new series, love it and I have to agree on the booties. the best!

10. Kathleen said… March 3, 2014 11:12 am

Hooray for stylish Moms! Love this idea, looking forward to more!

11. Stacey said… March 3, 2014 10:06 am

Love this new segment idea. I’m so on board that moms can still look stylish (moms, we all deserve 5 minutes to care about how we look!). And I’m excited to check out their blog too.

• Liz Stanley said… March 3, 2014 1:31 pm

It’s hard though to find that time without feeling like you’re neglecting someone or something!

• Stacey said… March 3, 2014 2:19 pm

Totally! Mom guilt is a real thing. I have to remind myself that if I look my best, I feel my best which translates into a happier mom for my kids:)

• Liz Stanley said… March 4, 2014 9:28 am

I agree! Sometimes just feeling put together makes me act it :)