• Baby Wearing Adventures: 5 Favorite San Francisco Cafes

This post is in collaboration with Ergobaby

5FavoriteCafes

When Henry was born we were living in Salt Lake City and my friends all had older children who wanted to be at parks and zoos and playgroups all day. Because I wanted to get out of the house and hang out, I would spend a lot of time doing those things with them- even though Henry was far too young to enjoy it, and even though he spent most of the time snoozing anyway. I regret it in some ways. At that newborn stage they’re so portable and easy to travel around with, and perfectly happy to be cuddled up against you out shopping, eating out or even at a movie. I wish I had spent more time doing things I wanted to do with Henry while I still could, as opposed to jumping into kid activities so quickly.

This time around I’m determined to take advantage of Edie’s newborn portable-ness while I still can (there will be years of playground, kid friendly restaurants, and Dora the Explorer in our future that’s for sure!). I’m partnering with Ergo Baby to talk about our adventures in baby wearing around San Francisco and thought today that it might be fun to share 5 of my favorite cafes in the city where I can tote Edie around in an Ergo wrap. She sleeps so incredibly soundly in a wrap, way better than in her cradle or in a car seat and this one feels so snug and safe.

Keep reading to hear about my 5 favorite San Francisco cafes and more about baby wearing…

Photography and graphics by Loren Croiser for Say Yes

heartbaker5

I was very familiar with the Ergo baby carrier (seems like every mom I see is sporting one which says a whole lot!)  but didn’t know they had  a wrap until this partnership (it’s new!) and was so happy to discover it! It’s made with super soft stretchy fabric and I love that there’s a front pouch for easy storage of the wrap itself, and to throw a binkie or cell phone in as well. A great way to tote your babe around town during those first few months.

And here are 5 of my favorite cafes to head out to on your baby wearing adventures in San Francisco:

heartbaker6

1. Heart Baker: (all images in this post are from this spot) This is a gem of a spot that opened last summer right in our neighborhood which I’m so grateful for because we don’t have a lot of cute little cafes or coffee shops at all in this neck of the woods. Jared and I have come for lunch here before which is delicious and they change their menu frequently which is fun. They also have delicious scones, quiche,  cream filled bombolini (little donuts) as well as other treats all day long. Yum!
    1408 Clement Street in the Richmond district

2. Tartine: This bakery and cafe is a must visit and at the top of every tourist list in the the city, and for good reason. Just don’t go on the weekend unless you want to brave serious tourist crowds. I’d recommend the croque monsieur, morning bun, chocolate croissant, bread pudding, and my new favorite: sesame bread (available only after 4:30pm). But really, you can’t go wrong here at all. Everything is amazing.
    600 Guerrero Street in the Mission

heartbaker9

3. The Nook: This is my favorite spot to work in the city. You kind of have to get there before 10am to get a spot since it’s small but in such a perfect location on a gorgeous tree lined street where the streetcar turns right in front every few minutes. I pinch myself every time I’m there that I actually live in this incredible city. I almost always get the breakfast wrap when I go, but I’d say ambiance is the real draw for this one.
    1500 Hyde Street in Nob Hill

4. The Mill: More so a coffee shop (although a huge one at that) than a cafe, this has become the hot hipster spot for meetings. I almost always run into someone I know here and it’s a beautiful space to sit and people watch. They serve the famous Four Barrel coffee and toast up Josey Baker bread into the most incredible thick toast you’ve ever had with fresh jam, butter, and variations of these (sounds kinda boring, but you have to give it a try). It’s kind of life changing.
    736 Divisadero in Alamo Square

5 favorite san francisco cafes

5. Cafe du Soleil: This is my other favorite spot to work. It’s a friendly french cafe in a great sunny location in the lower Haight and it’s pretty easy to find a place to sit and grab a bit, or edit a blog post with their free internet. They have great breakfast (french toast, granola), and all the salads are yummy too.
    200 Fillmore Street in the Lower Haight

heartbaker10

Do you tote your newborn around in a wrap? Sometimes I even put on the wrap before I leave the house so I can just slip Edie in on the go when we hop out of the car. I love the feeling of her all cozy up against me and she sleeps every time (she was fast asleep during this whole shoot).

Outfits details: Ergo wrap, Ripped black jeans from Zara, boots from Madewell, button down, and wool cape from Madewell (both last season), lipstick is Rosa from Inside Out Cosmetics

1. Liezl Veiga said… March 25, 2014 3:56 am

My husband, myself and our (then) 9 month old daughter flew from South Africa to San Francisco last November for 2.5 weeks and I carried her EVERYWHERE in my Ergo! She caught buses, the Bart, a Ferry, ate out, slept in, went to all the tourist spots and (albeit) my back was a tad achy after all that time, the Ergo was the BEST investment I made for our trip!

2. Janssen said… March 19, 2014 2:46 pm

We just found out a week ago that we’ll be in the Bay Area all summer (my husband’s doing an MBA internship), so I’ll definitely have to check these places out!

3. caroline said… March 13, 2014 10:58 am

I knew that Rosa lippy would look killer on you! You look awesome. I still covet that cape. I hope to get some cafe time with you (and Edie!) again before I go to Rome (I’ll be home for a few weeks before I take off).

4. ginah said… March 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Love the jacket/cardigan. Can I ask where you found it?

• Liz Stanley said… March 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi! The cape is from Madewell, two winters ago :(

5. Liza said… March 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Liz,

thanks for bringing your baby and your talented photographer to heartbaker. I let the owners know about the post ~ and you even included a funny head shot of me! very fun! Your next bombolini is on me!

Liza

• Liza said… March 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Oh and I should add ~ I’m a big proponent of “attachment” parenting so I agree wholeheartedly about your baby snuggling pack. I switched to a back pack as soon as possible though, because that allows for more freedom of action and movement and curious babies can peek over you shoulder and watch everything you’re doing. You’ll have to feature your choice for backpacks in the next stage of baby carrying.
        My daughter is 23 and independently thriving in L.A. now ~

• Liz Stanley said… March 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi Liza! Yes, carriers coming up next and thank you, I’m already salivating at the thought of my next bombolini…see you soon!

6. Ana said… March 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Oh I have to check out the Heartbaker, I have been discovering Richmond quite a lot lately, but haven’t seen this spot!

7. Stacey said… March 11, 2014 11:09 am

I LOVE your cape! Love love love. And the Madewell boots. I need to shop their more, obviously:)

8. Emy said… March 11, 2014 10:27 am

I love it! It was finally warm enough here in Chicago for me to wear my little guy to the coffee shop around the corner, though I can’t say I did so as stylishly as you :) That cape is amazing! This baby is my first, and it has been so wonderful (and reassuring) to read all your baby/motherhood posts lately.

• Liz Stanley said… March 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Oh thank you! Congrats on your little one and welcome to mommyhood!

9. lyndsay // coco cake land said… March 11, 2014 10:19 am

awww! you look beautiful, liz!

oh man the ergo was my saviour when my little T was a baby. a baby carrier gave me my freedom back, my hands and arms – i remember when i first baked again post-partum (banana chocolate chip bread), having him snug against me in his carrier. freedom!!

we actually made it to one movie when he was 8 weeks – “movies for mommies” – and i swore i would go to more but i never ended up going to another.

perhaps i’ll need to try this ergo wrap when another babe comes along! ^__^

• Liz Stanley said… March 11, 2014 12:40 pm

I agree it’s such a gem! I strap her on and do housework all the time, she just loves to be held all. the. time. that little stinker

10. kathy said… March 11, 2014 10:03 am

I agree tartine is amazing! I’m excited to check out these others ones next time i visit

11. julia said… March 11, 2014 10:03 am

I am a total baby wearer for so many reasons. I have the moby but didn’t realize Ergo made one, I love the color options here. The one that you are wearing is so pretty. And of course that cape is last season (shaking fist). It’s darling.

• Liz Stanley said… March 11, 2014 10:13 am

Yes, the ergo wrap is new! I was happy to see they’re making them as well

12. novella @ 9lla.it said… March 11, 2014 9:40 am

These pictures are sooo cute!
      Should suggest my cousin to tote her future baby around in a wrap :)
      xx