• Perfect Whole Wheat Pancakes

homemade whole wheat pancake recipe

I really¬†really want to love whole wheat because I know it’s so much better for you, but most of the time whole wheat recipes just don’t compare to their white flour alternative. Well. With the exception of these perfect whole wheat pancakes! They are better than white flour pancakes, and they exclusively use whole wheat flour. None of this half and half noncommittal nonsense. You’ll have to try them to see for yourself. This recipe comes from my sister Celeste and I prefer them over almost any other pancake I’ve had.

whole wheat pancakes recipe

Keep reading for the yummy recipe…

Photography and styling by Liz Stanley. Assisted by Sara Albers

Perfect Whole Wheat Pancakes

1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 t salt
    1 t baking soda
    1-2 T sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup oil

Mix in that order, cook over medium heat

homemade_whole_wheat_pancakes4

1. Molly said… March 17, 2014 3:59 am

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for posting this, I’ve been eating these with my 19 month old twice a week! So good! Just curious as I’m relatively new to cooking- what kind of oil do you use for these?

2. Ana said… February 23, 2014 10:51 am

These look great! Just wondering if I can I use almond milk for this recipe instead of regular whole-milk?

• Liz Stanley said… February 23, 2014 9:47 pm

hi ana. have you baked with almond milk before (in cakes or anything?). i’ve never baked or cooked with it but might be worth trying!

3. chinkara said… February 21, 2014 1:34 pm

liz,
      i’ve been using a different recipe that calls for souring the milk with 2 tbls of vinegar for 5 min. i wonder if the buttermilk is added to bring in that flavor? what do you think? could you do this with all regular milk and add vinegar to sour it?

• Liz Stanley said… February 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Chinkara, hey girl! So what you’re doing when you add vinegar like that is making buttermilk. Adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk is an alternative to using buttermilk. So. Either or!

4. alice said… February 21, 2014 12:39 pm

i adore pancakes. these look lovely. we are big fans of Jiffy corn muffin mix pancakes in our house. but I will definitely be trying these!

• Liz Stanley said… February 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Ooh I’ve never tried that, will have to!

5. katie said… February 20, 2014 11:23 am

Oh yum! Will have to try these

6. Stacey said… February 20, 2014 9:57 am

I want to come to your house–it seems you guys eat pancakes a lot! :)

• Liz Stanley said… February 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Ha! Pancakes breakfast, lunch and dinner!