Pie is a must on our Thanksgiving menu BUT there’s just one problem, I don’t really like the traditional pie crust! I know I know, I feel guilty admitting it and I don’t feel like a true American but it’s the truth and I always feel left out during dessert when I don’t eat pie! So this coconut crust, which is also gluten free, is the perfect swap out for the traditional pie crust, and an extra plus.. it only takes 2 ingredients! This recipe is like an upscaled Almond Joy transformed into a pie, but for a much needed warning: it’s extremely chocolatey, rich, and well just perfect.
You can even add a fun fruity twist to this recipe and replace the chocolate with key lime filling! Key lime with coconut crust… YUM! Get creative for Thanksgiving this year and swap out the traditional pie crust for this coconut one!
keep reading for the recipe…
Chocolate Ganache Coconut Crusted Pie w/Toasted Almonds
For the crust:
• 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
• 6 cups of sweetened coconut
For the filling:
• 1 c. heavy cream
• 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate & 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
(the better quality the chocolate, the better taste it will have!)
• toasted almonds
Serve with vanilla bean ice cream!
1. Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of the coconut until it forms a ball, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture and combine with your fingers.
2. Place a 8-inch pie pan on a baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up the sides of the pan to form a crust, leaving the top edges loose and fluffy. Place a foil ring over edge to prevent from burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10-15 minutes; remove foil and bake until edges are browned, 4-5 minutes more. Keep an eye on it because the coconut burns quickly!! Remove and let it cool.
3. Make the filling: Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Let it sit 5 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is combined. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day. Garnish with toasted almonds and shaved unsweetened coconut.