• The Perfect Homemade Trail Mix

trailmix2
    When I coached lacrosse in New Jersey years ago while living in Hoboken, my girls would always come to games with the most amazing trail mixes, and almost all of them were homemade, or at least home ‘mixed’. There always seems to be one thing I don’t like in those pre-made mixes so the idea of making your own seems to make so much sense and I’ve been doing the same ever since.

trailmix3

Last week we went to an outdoor movie up in Marin with some friends. We each brought different items for a dinner picnic, including some homemade trail mix I made.

Keep reading to see my secret magic combination of ingredients for homemade trail mixes after the jump…

Photography and styling by Liz Stanley

__________________________________________________________________________________

This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. Get Your Good Going with Blue Diamond Almonds and enter for a chance to win your ultimate summer party onΒ Facebook!Blue Diamond Logo - 125px

trailmix1

In the trail mix above I used Blue Diamond Almonds, cashews, pistachios, dried berry mix (my favorite is from Trader Joes), chocolate chips, and dark chocolate covered toffee (another favorite treat from Trader Joes). My secret combination for the perfect trail mix is nuts/dried fruit/chocolate ratio of 3:2:2. With one of the chocolates being a special treat like those dark chocolate covered toffee! Yummy!

trailmix4

1. ladyash said… August 23, 2013 9:23 pm

This was exactly what I was looking for. When I do a long-haul flight, I always treat myself to trail mix, but there is usually something in there that I don’t like! Is your ratio based on weight or volume?

2. Elizabeth said… July 30, 2013 6:08 am

PS – I love that brown bowl!

3. Elizabeth said… July 30, 2013 6:07 am

Oh man… those chocolates look so good! And the cashews look amazing… I’ll be making this soon (and eating it all myself!) πŸ™‚

4. Mae said… July 29, 2013 1:10 pm

What’s the orange dried fruit??

• Liz Stanley said… July 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Dried apricots. The yellow ones are dried pineapple. Both delicious!

5. Karen said… July 29, 2013 10:07 am

When I was a kid, my mom made “gorp” every time we went camping: peanuts, raisins, and m&ms. My brother and I loved the special treat we only got when we went camping (which is also the only time we played boggle).

I recreate it (using cranberries or cherries instead of raisins) and sometimes it works and sometimes it’s just OK. I never thought to measure! I have a feeling I put a little too much chocolate in my mix. πŸ™‚ I love this combo and am going to give it a try. Thanks!

• Liz Stanley said… July 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Yes, it’s tempting to load up on the sweets in these mixes but then I always regret it and feel a little bit sick after eating it!

6. sandra said… July 29, 2013 9:51 am

Yum! I love trail mix and homemade sounds way better to me too. I didn’t know you coached lacrosse, I used to play in high school!

7. Lisette Wolter-McKinley said… July 29, 2013 8:41 am

Great combination. I never really thought of the ratio, but that is probably the key to a delicious mix.