• Homemade Pink Grapefruit Sorbet in Grapefruit Cups

grapefruitsorbet6
    This time of year in San Francisco is not warm but I have to ignore it and still eat frozen treats and wear flip flops around so I don’t feel like I’m missing out completely on summer. I love pulling out my ice cream maker for frozen treats and wanted to try a fresh kind of sorbet. I was really curious about a refreshing pink grapefruit version, and everything is better served in fruit cups, don’t you think?

grapefruitsorbet5

Keep reading for the full instructions…

Photography and styling by Liz Stanley. Assisted by Maddie Bachelder

Pink Grapefruit Sorbet (adapted from this Martha Stewart recipe)

1 1/4 cup of sugar
    1 1/4 cup of water
    2 cups of freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice
    3 T of freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 T grapefruit zest

grapefruitsorbet3

Instructions: Heat grapefruit zest, sugar and water on the stove until sugar is dissolved. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in grapefruit and lemon juice. Let cool in fridge then add to your ice cream maker. I like to put in the freezer for a couple hours afterwards to help it harden up a bit more.

grapefruitsorbet4

To make the grapefruit bowls, scrap out the grapefruits you’ve juiced and then pop them in the freezer so they harden up their shape which will make them easy to eat out of. Serve them frozen with a scoop of the frozen sorbet.

grapefruitsorbet2

1. Klickempfehlungen #11 | 101dingein1001tagen said… August 24, 2013 2:47 am

[…] Grapefruitsorbet könnte ich mir mittlerweile auch ganz gut vorstellen. Ich habe mal ein Zitronen-Rosmarin-Sorbet gemacht, das super war und der Aufwand hält sich auch in Grenzen. Hierfür braucht man allerdings laut Rezept eine Eismaschine. Habt ihr eine? […]

2. Lana Cole said… July 31, 2013 7:36 am

I’ve made this a couple times now. But I don’t have an ice cream maker so I just put it in a pyrex and put it in the freezer. I have to stir it up with a fork every couple hours, but it still comes out perfectly. Instead of eating it as sorbet, though, we fill up a cup of the grapefruit and fill the rest of the cup with sprite. It’s a perfect summer drink. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

3. Jenaya said… July 26, 2013 11:29 am

Generally speaking, how many grapefruit did it take for the two cups of juice?

• Liz Stanley said… July 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Let’s see, I think it was about 3 or 4 grapefruit to make the 2 cups of juice

• Jenaya said… July 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Great! Thank you!!

4. Wendy Ballster said… July 26, 2013 9:27 am

This looks incredible and beautiful photos/presentation!

5. cheap free run said… July 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Homemade Pink Grapefruit Sorbet in Grapefruit Cups | Say Yes to Hoboken cheap free run

6. Katherine K said… July 25, 2013 2:35 pm

These look delicious and I can’t imagine how refreshing they must be in our hot weather

7. Lisette Wolter-McKinley said… July 25, 2013 7:47 am

Love the fruit cups. Awhile back Costco sold something similar and they were great to pull out from the freezer in a pinch.

• Liz Stanley said… July 25, 2013 3:04 pm