• Redwood Tree Climbing

IMG_6485

(I’m climbing the Redwoods!)

Have I told you about my love affair with Redwood trees? I think it must have originated from my mother growing up in Redwood City, a town just south of San Francisco (which turns out doesn’t really have many Redwood trees at all in it), yet growing up in a New Yorker I kind of romanticized her California childhood amongst the giant Redwood trees. We’ve done a few family trips to visit the Redwoods since moving to San Francisco and the obsession with these magnificent trees continues! There’s something so magical about them, and Redwood groves are some of the most peaceful and spiritual places I’ve ever been. Aaaaand, yes, I did love this movie growing up.

(Hyundai Redwood Tree Climbing – Epic Playdate from Liz Stanley on Vimeo)

Above is a video they made when Jordan and I and our families ventured up north last month as part of the Hyundai epic playdate campaign- to climb Redwood trees! When they asked for ideas on what to do, I thought how amazing it would be to experience the Redwoods from up higher than eye level. Plus I knew Henry would love it and it would give him a chance to do something so completely different and new, especially since he spends most of his day in gated parks and schools. My favorite parts of the little video are when we got the kids on the rope and Jordan’s perfect expression sailing through the air amongst Redwood trees.

IMG_6535

This post is brought to you by The New Santa Fe from Hyundai.Hyundai_logo_125x125(1)

(All images in the post by Jordan Pay with the exception of my iPhone shots at the end)

IMG_6433 The first part of the day was gearing up and training and since our climbing involved a full ropes course and zip line. IMG_6528

The boys got suited up too. They were so cute and super excited to climb.IMG_6559

The boys didn’t climb the actual trees the way we did, but they did have this great ladder course which they rocked at. I was surprised at how brave Henry was- he was pretty high up.

IMG_6628

The adults climbed and zip lined through the trees next!

IMG_6487

Fancy iphone behind the scenes shots:

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 10.01.18 PM

The part at the beginning where we were filmed in the Santa Fe car required cameras mounted on both the front and side of the car. Plus, I was too short for them to get a good shot so they gave me a booster ‘crate’ to sit on. HA!

A few other shots from the day:

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 10.02.23 PM

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 10.01.53 PM

A mid-tree climbing walk while the adults were up

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 10.01.32 PM

Pictures from The Founders Grove, where we stopped on the way home. It’s the best part of the Avenue of the Giants which is my very favorite place to visit Redwood trees-about 3 1/2 hours north of San Francisco.

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 10.17.43 PM

1. mom in mendon said… May 2, 2013 4:32 pm

LOVED the video. You’re so smart, Liz, to suggest they get up high into the trees. What a great view.

2. Shawna Andreasen said… May 2, 2013 8:33 am

Liz I’m loving this!! I follow you and Oh Happy Day because all of the deliciously beautiful things you post but I was so happy to see this outdoor post pop up! I’m going to share it with my readers at Nature For Kids. I think they’ll appreciate it! Glad you all had fun playing outside…beautiful spot to explore!

3. Kate said… May 1, 2013 9:42 pm

Somehow I’ve lived in San Francisco all my life and haven’t done anything like this… it’s such a short drive!! My girls would LOVE it. Totally inspired.

• Liz Stanley said… May 1, 2013 10:02 pm

You totally need to! It’s one of my favorite things about living here. Your girls would love it

4. PARIS BEE kids blog said… May 1, 2013 3:41 pm

What an unforgettable experience!!!!! So cool!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

5. Kelli said… May 1, 2013 12:32 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! I love visiting the Redwoods – there’s something really mesmerizing and serene about them! During my last CA trip we drove down Avenue of the Giants…pretty sure we spent more time pulling over & staring at trees than actually driving.

• Liz Stanley said… May 1, 2013 4:45 pm

The avenue of the giants is one of my favorite places in the world. so glad you got to visit it too!

6. Lexi said… May 1, 2013 12:26 pm

Liz, you totally just gained coolness points (in my book at least) with the Gnome-mobile reference. Loved the video, too!

• Liz Stanley said… May 1, 2013 4:46 pm

ha! of course, the very best. my favorite part is the man hunt at the end for the eligible gnome!

7. Robin said… May 1, 2013 12:06 pm

Loved your comments on the video, Liz. Beautiful video, too.

8. Lisette Wolter-McKinley said… May 1, 2013 10:19 am

I like how you say at the end “those are the moments I am doing something right, I am letting my kid be a kid.” Love that philosophy.

• Liz Stanley said… May 1, 2013 12:05 pm

Totally. I have a little mothers guilt raising my kid in a big city so I love those moments of letting them really PLAY

9. Miggy said… May 1, 2013 9:16 am

OK, usually I’m pretty good about keeping my blog-envy in check, but this post? I’m JEALOUS. I remember visiting the redwoods on a trip to Oregon when I was about 12 and it’s still one of my most favorite trips ever. We need to take a family vacay there.

• Liz Stanley said… May 1, 2013 4:59 pm

You guys definitely do. Let me know and I’ll give you some tips of where to go!

10. Tanya said… May 1, 2013 9:03 am

I had NO idea that this was even possible!!! I agree – redwood forests are absolutely magical – like something out of “The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.” Have just added this to my life list – thank you! (Tanya – http://www.the-wonderist.com)

11. Jen said… May 1, 2013 8:44 am

I just added this to my life list. What an incredible experience!

12. Trisha Graham said… May 1, 2013 8:16 am

OMG I’ve always wanted to see the Redwood trees! So cool, it’s out our list for our CA trip next fall

13. Wendy Ballster said… May 1, 2013 8:01 am

YeeeaH! I’ve been waiting to see what that was all about- it looks incredible, and love the video

14. [...] The third of five Hyundai “Epic Play Date” ads went live today on Liz Stanley’s “Say Yes To Hoboken” blog. This was a great adventure that had us climbing the giant redwood trees, dangling from tiny platforms 70 feet off the ground and zipping through the trees on wires. All while trying to operate a camera!┬áBut the beauty of the redwoods and the epic-ness of the shoot was simply amazing. [...]