• Homemade Strawberry Fruit Leather

fruitleather9

Remember the days of strawberry fruit roll-ups in your lunch bag? We’re bringing them back, my friends. Ooooh yes.

I mentioned on Friday we were making strawberry fruit leather this weekend since it’s peak strawberry season. Actually, someone once told me that Mothers Day marks kind of the end of strawberry season, sadly, so it’s time to hustle!

fruitleather4

I love that you can control the amount of sugar you put in this homemade strawberry fruit leather, the thickness (the thicker the better!), and the size/shape of your final roll-ups  It would be cute to cut them out in hearts, stars, letters, etc.

fruitleather8

Keep reading for the easy recipe…

homemade fruit leather

Slice a bunch of strawberries into a pot.  I cut about 2 lbs. The more ripe the strawberries the less sugar you’ll need to add later!

fruitleather2

Squeeze in a whole lemon and about add about 1/2 cup of waterfruitleather3

Stew them for about 15 minutes until they’re really soft and delicious smelling.

fruitleather5

Blend them up and add about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar (more or less depending on your taste, ripeness of the strawberries).

Then pour them onto a cookie sheet that’s been lined with plastic wrap and sprayed with cooking spray on top of the wrap. fruitleather6

Fill the tray with your strawberry liquid. Remember the thicker the better so you might want to use a small cookie sheet or even something smaller- next time I’ll probably use a 9 x 11 pan. fruitleather7

Now you’re going to let it dry in a warm over for about 6 hours. You’ll know it’s ready because the top will be slightly sticky still, and it will easily come off the plastic wrap when tugged at.

Cut into shapes with a pizza cutter or cookie cutter shapes. Wrap up and store in a plastic bag for an easy snack!

1. Lindsey @ Dishing Up Hope said… June 10, 2013 10:22 am

These look delish! I am trying a raspberry lemon verision right now…

2. Kamisha said… May 26, 2013 3:58 pm

I set my oven to warm and followed the recipe. Looking at the picture I used wax paper instead of saran wrap. I am so confused. It didn’t work? It was still very liquid like. So I left it in longer and it eventually got too hard.
      Any advice? I am willing to try again. My farmer’s market is selling them for super cheap as it is the end of season.

3. Dee Wilcox said… May 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for this! We’re so excited to try it!

4. Lesley said… May 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Just what I was looking for!

Do you think they would freeze well? Or keep longer in the fridge? I’d love to make a stock pile while strawberries are inexpensive and delicious!

Thanks for sharing.

5. Marija said… May 17, 2013 1:29 pm

6 hours in the oven???? Maybe in The USa , but not in Europe…What a vaste of energy… Juste eat them raw!!!

6. homemade strawberry fruit leather. | Puj said… May 17, 2013 7:38 am

[...] recipe struck a cord. Fruit leathers are great for quick energy on hikes throughout the summer, and this one looks so pretty + simple and delicious. Do you make your own? [via Say Yes to [...]

7. kathleen said… May 16, 2013 5:52 pm

i have been searching and searching for a homemade fruit leather/rollup recipe! can’t wait to try this one, love the simplicity

8. Jackie said… May 16, 2013 7:43 am

I would use parchment paper instead of plastic…as heated plastic leeches chemicals into food. Sounds great otherwise!

9. Melissa said… May 14, 2013 5:30 pm

We’ve never tried strawberry, but my husband makes apple fruit leather in the fall. When he was little, his grandma would make each grandkid their own cookie sheet’s worth of apple leather for Christmas–what a treat!

10. Diana N said… May 14, 2013 7:44 am

Ooh looks yummy!

11. Liz Stanley said… May 13, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Alex! My oven has a ‘warm’ setting, but probably anything under 200 degrees is fine

12. Alex Warren said… May 13, 2013 7:51 am

I was wondering, what temperature do you put the oven at for a “warm” oven?

Thanks, Alex

13. PARIS BEE kids blog said… May 13, 2013 5:39 am

Oh no, so now I can indulge my fruit rollup obsession from France! Eeek!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog