• Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake

By food contributor Sarah

This Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake is one of my favorite breakfasts because it requires simple ingredients I’m willing to bet are already in your kitchen. It turns out beautifully every time and to make it extra special I reheat the frozen berries in a cinnamon-vanilla spiked maple syrup.

Here’s the recipe…

Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake

3 eggs
    3/4 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 pinch sea salt
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup frozen (or fresh if you live somewhere special) blueberries
    1 cup maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 lemon, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 475 F and place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat up.

2. Whisk the eggs and milk until frothy. You can do this with a hand whisk or electric beater – whichever you find easier. Slowly add flour and salt then mix well.

3. Remove pan (carefully!) from the oven and turn it down to 425 F. Place all the butter in the skillet and swirl to melt evenly.

4. Pour in the batter and quickly return to the oven. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until pancake is puffed and brown.

5. While the pancake bakes make the syrup – simply heat berries, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and squirt of lemon juice over medium heat until it reaches a thickness you like.

6. Eat pancake warm topped with blueberry syrup and an extra squirt of fresh lemon juice.

1. Pancake Day said… February 8, 2013 9:16 am

[...] is an interesting take on a pancake, the Blueberry Dutch Pancakes from Say Yes To Hoboken look a little bit like Yorkshire puddings rather than pancakes, but as anyone who has tried a [...]

2. Laura Gaskill said… February 2, 2013 4:41 pm

Yay! So happy to see you (and your tasty food) over here, Sarah! These Dutch Babies look scrupmtious. :) xo Laura

3. Heidi said… January 29, 2013 7:48 am

Made them. Love them. They were completely fantastic.

4. [...] have nothing original to contribute here. I copied this recipe exactly. Actually, that’s not true. I didn’t have a real lemon, so I used lemon juice. Classy, [...]

5. Jen C said… January 28, 2013 9:33 am

Im excited to give this recipe a try – the German pancake recipe I currently use is delicious, but makes 2 pancakes, and well, that’s a lot of pancake for two people… Thanks for the recipe!

6. Heidi said… January 26, 2013 10:32 am

I just made these for my roommates and they were so impressed. They turned out beautiful and so tasty. They were also a cinch to make. Thank you.

7. eva kolenko said… January 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Im obsessed with the dutch pancakes from Outerlands… I MUST try this recipe! How does the homemade version compare?

8. Jessica Doll said… January 24, 2013 11:03 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try it. I’m a sucker for simple (almost) one dish meals.

9. Lindsey said… January 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Omgosh! Yum. I ate Dutch Baby every single day of my pregnancy. They’re the best!!!
      Love these photos with the newspaper behind. Good styling as always, Liz! xo

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2013 5:31 pm

All the credit goes to my fantastic food contributor, Sarah! She does amazing work!

10. noelle said… January 24, 2013 9:58 am

have you ever subbed the whole milk for almond milk?

• Christy@SweetandSavoring said… February 4, 2013 1:29 pm

I noticed that you didn’t get a response to this- and maybe you’ve found out by now!- but just wanted to offer my experience. I have used almond milk when I realized I was out of dairy, and it was totally fine and we couldn’t tell the difference!

Experimenting with Dutch Babies is so much fun! I like to throw in strawberries or banana, even mix in some canned pumpkin (but reduce the flour a tad).

11. Sarah @ Two Blue Lemons said… January 24, 2013 9:55 am

I hope you all try the recipe – it is seriously fool proof and totally delicious!

12. Nikki Rappaport said… January 24, 2013 8:03 am

Oh this looks so good! Now I need to host a brunch party.

13. Lacy said… January 24, 2013 7:33 am

HA! Sharing the same recipe on my blog today!

SO yummy!

14. Martha said… January 24, 2013 7:25 am

Looks wonderful! Wondering if there is a gluten free alternative….

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Me too! Tempted to try my Thomas Keller Cup for Cup gluten free flour here!

15. Anna said… January 24, 2013 5:26 am

I just watched the photos on Woodnotes web page, it is photos from a brunch (http://www.woodnotephotography.net/kinfolk). They must have been eating Dutch babies. What a coincidence! Yours looks really tasty. I need to try making Dutch babies one day. Until then I’ll settle on waffles for tonight :)