• Mema’s Whole Wheat Bread

This post is sponsored by Nestlé® Toll House® Morsels, the perfect special ingredient for all of your family’s favorite treats!

One of the favorite memories of my grandmother (who we called Mema) was the homemade whole wheat bread she would make at least once a week for as long as I can remember. Sometimes we’d help her, sometimes we’d just watch her quick hands work, but it was always a highlight of our visits.

She used the same recipe for decades. It was handed down from her mother and her mother’s mother, and it’s the same recipe that all of her children and grandchildren still use today. I inherited her well-used bread pans, and it’s one of my favorite things to do on a rainy day or when I’m missing her. What is it about working with your hands that’s so gratifying?

I’ve never found a whole wheat bread recipe that tastes even close in comparison to this recipe…

Mema’s Whole Wheat Bread

2 ½ c. hot water
    4 c. whole wheat flour
    1/3 c. oil
    1/4 c. honey
    2 T of molasses
    1 envelope yeast
    1 T. salt
    1 c. white flour

Directions: Turn the oven to warm. Mix the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast into a large bowl. Mix hot water with the oil, honey, and molasses into a kitchenaid mixer. Mix the flour mixture in little by little. Add white flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl and let knead for 5 minutes in the kitchenaid. Shape into 2 loaves (or 1 large and 2 small in my case). Oil and flour the bread pans, and place the loaves inside. Turn off the oven, place the pans in covered with cloths and let rise 1-2 hours with the oven slightly open. Cook for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

1. Turn the oven to warm. Mix the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast into a large bowl.

2. Mix hot water with the oil, honey, and molasses into a kitchenaid mixer. Mix the flour mixture in little by little.

3. Add white flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl. Oil and flour pans.

4. Shape into 2 loaves (or 1 large and 2 small in my case) and place in pans.

5. Turn off the oven, place the pans in covered with cloths and let rise 1-2 hours with the oven slightly open. Cook for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

1. Shannon said… October 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Ahhh Liz, reading this brings back so many memories of Mema. Thanks for reminding me. I’m going to make it tomorrow. Love, cousin Shannon
      PS Love your blog!

2. Celia said… October 22, 2012 3:37 am

So there’s no first rise period before shaping into loaves, as in most yeast bread recipes? The bread looks delicious. I’d love to try making it.

3. Nancy Trant said… October 18, 2012 9:35 am

I love people who have fond memories of their ancestors and are willing to share them. Baking brings back so many good memories of days gone by. Our children and grand children need these stable connections to a wholesome and loving past. Thanks for the recipe, the great pictures and the shared memories of your “Mema”. I’m on my way to my kitchen to make this recipe . . .

4. Tricia said… October 17, 2012 10:42 am

This looked so good I hopped right on it today to make it when I saw it! But I admit that I am a newby at bread making, so I have a couple of questions….I’m adding the white flour at the end – it’s not the 1 cup that we already added, right? I seem to be adding a lot to get the dough pull away….is that normal? And no kneading?

Thanks for any reply you can!!! Cannot wait until it’s done cooking….hope it is half as good as yours looks :)

• Liz Stanley said… October 19, 2012 7:15 am

Yes, add the white flour after you’ve added the wheat. At the end. You might still need more white if it’s not pulling away. The kneading part is the five minutes it kneads in the kitchenaid. If you don’t have one you just knead by hand. Enjoy!

5. anna - Today I Like Blog said… October 17, 2012 5:57 am

mmmm! I can imagine having this bread with some cream cheese… right NOW!

6. Christine Mimer said… October 16, 2012 7:29 pm

These images are beautiful and they make me hungry!

7. Jaclyn said… October 16, 2012 5:23 pm

That looks so good and comforting. I love the simplicity of the images and the bread. I’ve never tried tackling any sort of bread recipe, but I would love to try.

Stay in the Lines

8. Michelle A said… October 16, 2012 10:27 am

I remember you making this bread for me with some delicious jam. The perfect gift . That bread was deeeeelicious!!

9. Jessica @ Is + Was said… October 16, 2012 10:23 am

Yumm…there’s nothing like honey whole wheat bread on a chilly Fall day. I’ve been using a slight adaptation of this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-whole-wheat-bread/) and loving it.

I’m excited to try yours! I’ll bet the addition of molasses is delicious…

10. Paige said… October 16, 2012 9:22 am

Food always tastes better when there are memories and nostalgia. Enjoy :)

11. Jillian in Italy said… October 16, 2012 9:15 am

This recipe looks so….cosy. Can you say that about a loaf of bread? I’m sure the house smells so nice as well when it’s baking. I’m sold.

12. liz stanley said… October 7, 2008 12:59 pm

yes, big T means tablespoon

13. Haydee said… October 7, 2008 10:35 am

This may be a dumb question, but what is it 2 tsp or 2 tblsp of molasses? Does the big T mean tablespoons? I can’t wait to make this.

14. liz s said… February 9, 2007 2:55 pm

the extra wheat flour: you may need it, you may not depending on on consistency (which varies with humidity). As a general rule, I add an extra cup

15. P & L said… February 9, 2007 1:08 pm

Hey, Liz – what do you do with the “extra wheat flour” mentioned in the recipe?

16. liz s said… February 9, 2007 10:41 am

jenni, no this is not the breadmaker recipe. i’m not sure how the breakmaker one would differ

17. Jenni said… February 9, 2007 10:36 am

did you say your mom made this in a breadmaker? i have been looking for a good recipe to try with mine so it can do all the work for me. thanks.

18. liz s said… February 9, 2007 8:04 am

p&l, yup. that’s why I didn’t make it before the new era of the kitchenaid!

19. P & L said… February 9, 2007 7:25 am

What if I don’t have a KitchenAid? Do I knead it by HAND?

20. Western Rebel said… February 8, 2007 12:59 pm

mmm bread! unfortunately, MY kitchen aid started smelling of burning motor when I kneaded bread with it last week. i think it may be on its way out…

21. Katrina said… February 8, 2007 12:54 pm

I lovee Mama’s bread!

22. Anonymous said… February 8, 2007 12:33 pm

Looks yummy.

23. rachel said… February 8, 2007 6:41 am

I think I am going to make this today. I make bread regularly but I don’t love my wheat bread recipe.