• No-Noodle Zucchini Lasagna

By food contributor Whitney of Eat Sleep Cuddle. Read more about my talented group of contributors right here.

Lasagna was always a family favorite of ours growing up, and my husband & I both fell in love with this version of my Mom’s recipe that I made last week, using zucchini instead of lasagna noodles!

It is the perfect summer-to-fall transition meal, especially for those of you lucky enough to still have some fresh zucchini from your garden! P.S. Don’t forget to save some lasagna to have for leftovers…tastes even better with age.

Keep reading for the full recipe…

Zucchini (No-Noodle) Lasagna

Ingredients:
    2-3 zucchinis, sliced lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick or less
    1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce*
    fresh spinach, roughly chopped
    16oz. container of cottage cheese
    2-3 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
    freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
    1 egg
    about 1/2 tsp dried basil
    ground pepper

Directions:
    Mix together cottage cheese, egg, basil and pepper. Slice zucchini about 1/4-inch thick or less. Cover bottom of glass baking dish with sauce, and then layer the following: zucchini, spinach, sauce, cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella. Repeat. Top with fresh parm, sprinkle with dried basil. Cover with foil and bake at 350-degrees for 1 hour, removing foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.

Note: Don’t fill your baking dish too high with the layers. The zucchini adds a lot of moisture and causes the sauce to be pretty runny (which could spill over). To reduce the moisture you can try salting & draining the sliced zucchini, or baking the slices in the oven to dry them out a bit (425 degrees for 5-10 minutes) before assembling your lasagna. I actually added a third “layer” of zucchini & mozzarella cheese on the top, but would definitely leave this out next time to reduce the amount of extra liquid.

*I used Trader Joe’s Arrabiata sauce, and it was perfect for this.

1. blueberries & lasagna — camp1899 said… October 9, 2012 5:06 am

[...] you go. recipes on the internet are more than plentiful and hard to decide between but when i saw no-noodle lasagna (on say yes to hoboken) i knew we had to try it. we limit the amount of processed carbs we eat, [...]

2. Divas Half Marathon | the10kchick said… October 7, 2012 7:59 pm

[...] The rest of the day I spent being lazy and helping my mom food shop. My mom whipped me up my favorite cocktail (screwdriver) while I cooked us a delicious dinner – No Noodle Zucchini Lasagna. [...]

3. October Things | livehalffull said… October 4, 2012 3:56 pm

[...] morning Rich and I met at the Farmer’s Market. Our purchases included zucchini (I plan on making this recipe), a focaccia pizza for dinner and Rich bought me some [...]

4. [...] via: sayyestohoboken.com [...]

5. Recipe Challenge | JennMann… said… October 3, 2012 10:04 am

[...] 4. Zucchini Lasagna [...]

6. Jill said… October 1, 2012 10:06 pm

Hey there,

I made this for dinner tonight. It turned out incredibly runny but delicious. I think I used too much sauce. Can’t wait to try again.

XO Jill

jillianturner.blogspot.com

• Arlette said… October 12, 2012 12:57 pm

If you make your own sauce you can cook it down until it has virtually no liquid. This will help control the amount of moisture in the lasagna. I have not made this yet, but I imagine that if you pre-roast the zucchini a bit before constructing the lasagna, that will also help reduce moisture.

7. [...] are on top of my legit frienemy list ranking in 2nd behind cake.  I was excited to see this pasta free zucchini lasagna recipe… must try soon, nom [...]

8. Ellen said… September 29, 2012 10:28 am

This looks great! Do you think it would work with eggplant if you baked it first? Kind of like eggplant parm but without the frying/breading.

• Jan said… October 1, 2012 1:39 pm

You definitely can make it with eggplant! Preslice the eggplant and grill it under the broiler on a cookie sheet, brushed with a little oil til browned. Then layer according to the recipe. You can also do Eggplant AND zucchini together and if you pre broil the zucchini, too, it will be much less moist.

9. Wendy Skinner said… September 28, 2012 9:06 pm

it looks delicious! a question? What the size of your baking dish? cant wait to try it and eat it!

10. Ari said… September 28, 2012 5:57 pm

What type of cottage cheese? Whole, lowfat, or nonfat?

11. Christy@SweetandSavoring said… September 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Looks delicious! I’ve been really into zucchini recipes since we have our first vegetable garden, so this is perfect :)

12. Sandi said… September 28, 2012 11:37 am

Niiiicely done!

13. céline said… September 27, 2012 4:51 pm

I tried it yesterday , it was really yummy but more like a moussaka ( you know the greek meal ?)because I added meat but really good .
      Thanks for this good idea

14. lolita said… September 26, 2012 1:45 am

Love the food!It looks really amazing!Thanks for sharing the recipe!I definitely wanna have a try!

15. Aoife Wall said… September 25, 2012 3:21 pm

This looks amazing, and I don’t normally enjoy zucchini (Is it a texture thing? Who knows)

Great to see some gluten free recipes that look tasty! Keep em coming!

16. Tan said… September 25, 2012 10:49 am

YUM! If only I could convince my husband to eat zucchini…

17. Mocha said… September 25, 2012 1:39 am

Wonderful ! I want to eat the same thing :)

18. Jorjie said… September 24, 2012 8:50 pm

This is a favorite of mine… Definitely even better the next day.

19. Katherine K said… September 24, 2012 7:04 pm

This looks so yummy and it’s gluten free too (Liz, didn’t I read on instagram that you’re eating gluten free?)

• Liz Stanley said… September 24, 2012 11:09 pm

I know! Perfect timing (almost..I’m starting a 10 day cleanse tomorrow) but after that I’m totally making it

20. Lindsey said… September 24, 2012 2:17 pm

This is perfect! I was just thinking today of all these wonderful, cheesy carb-loaded recipes I want to make now that it’s fall. This one has all the yumminess without the heaviness of the noodles. And it’s a reason to use my mandoline! YAY!

21. christin said… September 24, 2012 6:49 am

I definitely need to make this.