• Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

This post is sponsored by Nestlé® Toll House® Morsels, the perfect special ingredient for all of your family’s favorite treats!

Do you like to bake with your kids? I have so many memories baking with my parents and siblings growing up. We would always make cookies on Sunday evenings and I remember my father whipping up a batch of cookies in record time and us kids fighting over who got to lick the spoon and bowl. The best part, right? I could sit and eat dough all day long. Plus, nothing is cuter than a kid licking a messy spoon full of dough.

Baking and eating together as a family is one thing that is really important to me and really fun to do as well. Sometimes dinner prep is a hard time to entertain kids but including them in the process is a great way to keep those little hands busy while you’re preparing the meal. Pouring, measuring, mixing and stirring are exactly the kind of motor skills preschool kids need and love, so baking with your kids is a perfect activity (and a super yummy result!). I’m sharing one of my family’s favorite recipes today, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that Henry loves to help make and eat. They’re delicious, soft, cakey and perfect for a fall treat.

Something about September makes me want to consume a whole lot of pumpkin. Do you get excited for fall foods too? Do you have favorite fall recipes? I’d love to hear them! What kinds of things do you bake with your kids or with your parents growing up?

Keep reading for the full recipe and photo tutorial…

Pumpkin Cookies
    Ingredients:
    ½ c. sugar               2 ¾ c. flour
    ½ c. brown sugar            2 tsp. soda
    ½ c. shortening            1 tsp. ginger
    2 eggs                    1 tsp. salt          2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla                1 tsp. baking powder
    1 ½ c. pumpkin            1 c. chocolate chips

Directions: Blend sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla. Add flour, salt, soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon. Add pumpkin and chocolate chips. Drop onto cookie sheet (greased if needed) by large spoonfuls. Bake at 375 for 10 min. Makes 5 dozen delicious cookies.

1. khayes said… October 7, 2012 12:24 pm

So which is it butter or shortening???????

2. Taylor said… September 22, 2012 1:24 pm

I was confused about the butter/shortening thing as well. The recipe calls for butter, but shortening is in the ingredients.

I just made this recipe, and it turned out amazing. I ended up using shortening, but I’ll use butter next time to see if there’s any difference in taste/texture.

3. David said… September 16, 2012 10:45 am

The ingredients list calls for shortening, but the preparation calls for butter. Anybody tried both to see which turns out better?

4. Lisette Wolter-McKinley said… September 14, 2012 9:00 am

I start craving soups. I especially love butternut squash or parsnip soup.

5. Wendy Ballser said… September 12, 2012 4:38 pm

These look delicious! I love pumpkin this time of year too. YUM!

6. Heather Milstein said… September 12, 2012 12:17 pm

I would make cookies every Saturday with my dad too. I loved these ginger ones he used to make, I swear to god i can’t make them the same! they were amazing!

7. sara said… September 12, 2012 11:37 am

they look amazing. pumpkin and chocolate is seriously one of my fave flavor combinations

8. Katherine K said… September 12, 2012 11:13 am

oh YUM! I love cooking snickerdoodles with my daughter- every kid loves those!

9. Melissa said… September 12, 2012 10:08 am

I love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies! I wanted to make some last week and was horrified to find that I had no pumpkin in my cupboard!