• Dare to Wear it: The Leather Jacket

this content series is in partnership with smartwater. smartwater, simplicity is delicious. click here to learn more.
    Photos of Liz by Ashley Thalman. Copy and design by fashion contributor Ashley Aikele

I’m excited that we saved our best for last for our dare to wear it series…the leather jacket! Liz scored her vintage Levi leather jacket from a consignment store in San Francisco. This classic piece usually comes with an edgy reputation but when styled correctly this jacket can be anything from soft and feminine to rocker chic. Check out these outfits Liz put together and let us know, would you dare to wear a leather jacket this fall?

What do you think? Could you pull off the leather jacket this season?

Clothing:
    1. Dress and oxfords thrifted
    2. Skirt from Gap Outlet, sweater from J.Crew
    3. Blouse and oxfords thrifted, jeans are Joes
    4. Tee is consignment, sweatshirt from h&m, boots from target
    5. Black jeans from Urban Outfitters, shirt from J.Crew
    Leather jacket is second hand vintage Levi’s
    Lipstick is Nars Heat Wave

1. […] where Liz rocked it in a leather jacket she scored on consignment for one of her latest posts, Dare to Wear it: The Leather Jacket. To see images from previous work we’ve done see, How to Style It: The Jean jacket, 6 Tips […]

2. julie said… September 24, 2012 8:37 am

Love the mix of pearls with the edgy leather jacket !

3. Bek said… September 23, 2012 11:46 am

Any idea what this jacket is called or where I could track one down?? I’ve never ever been interested in leather anything for myself until this amazing jacket…

4. Nina wikstrom Aguilar said… September 20, 2012 10:07 am

Fabulous styling and photos!! You are so pretty!!

5. sara said… September 20, 2012 2:26 am

that is THE perfect leather jacket!

and *GAH!* those booties! If only I had your imagination for styling……..

6. Nataya A said… September 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Love this great styling tips! Thankyou so much

7. Olivia said… September 19, 2012 10:50 am

Liz, I love this post! I would love to see more of you modeling–the styling is great. I’ve been wanting a leather jacket forever, but I think you’ve inspired me to just go out and BUY one. I love yours in black, and I think a camel/toffee color would also be fun.

8. Diana Mieczan said… September 19, 2012 9:11 am

You look amazing and my favourite combo is the first one with polka dot dress – so classic and snazzy! Have a beautiful day:) xo

9. Lindsey said… September 18, 2012 11:35 pm

You’re a city girl, Liz! You definitely wear black on black (+ red lipstick!) best. I love it. xo

10. brooke field said… September 18, 2012 5:49 pm

love that you modeled this post! your jacket is what i would only find in dreams. love looks 1,3+5 best!

11. The Twirl Girl said… September 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for all of the inspiration ideas for a leather jacket. Please check out my website http://www.thetwirlgirl.com for clothing that is vintage inspired all under $100. Thanks again and keep it up!

12. Carla said… September 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Wow! You can seriously rock a leather jacket, this photo shoot is so awesome. Rocker chic is my very favorite. Now I’ve got to get myself a black leather jacket before the cool weather hits!

13. Aimee said… September 18, 2012 1:45 pm

I got a leather jacket when I was in England (where I felt like I could play around with lots of different styles that I normally wouldn’t choose) and every time I wear it I feel just a tad “cooler”. It’s funny what clothes do to your confidence. I like to play around with looks #1 and #3 the most! thanks for sharing!!

14. Rosa said… September 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Liz – Love the photos! Where did you get your jacket? I’ve been looking for one just like that.

15. Gabrielle - Design Mom said… September 18, 2012 12:47 pm

What a hottie! If you weren’t married to my brother, I’d totally pick up on you.

16. robin k said… September 18, 2012 12:00 pm

You look awesome in all!

17. Sharon @ Currently Coveting said… September 18, 2012 11:59 am

Liz! This was an awesome post and you styled the crap out of that leather jacket. Definitely inspiring for me. My style runs towards Look #4 when I don’t have to wear my day to day business casual. Maybe I can try and pull of my leather jackets at the office. We’ll see…

18. chelsea said… September 18, 2012 10:56 am

Um. Could you be any cooler? Sheesh!

19. Tan said… September 18, 2012 9:37 am

#3 has got to be my fav. I just love the leather jacket paired with that beautiful, feminine blouse! I’ll definitely have to try this look with my brown leather jacket (which I adore and wear constantly)

• Liz Stanley said… September 18, 2012 11:26 am

I know! I think that is my favorite too. Have fun with your brown leather jacket!

20. Michelle A said… September 18, 2012 9:30 am

hot! hot! hot! You look amazing Liz, I’ve always coveted a leather jacket.

21. Maggie | 2ndhand Knowledge said… September 18, 2012 9:29 am

Great looks. I’ve never really felt like a leather jacket is “me” but these looks definitely make me feel more like I could pull if off!

• Liz Stanley said… September 18, 2012 11:29 am

I didn’t think I could pull it off either. My little sister showed up sporting one and I was like, this is so hot!! I began searching for one and have loved it ever since

22. Heather | Vivid Hue Home said… September 18, 2012 8:59 am

uhh…when you look this fabulous, you can pull leather off with ANYTHING! Love these different looks with leather. It’s great to have these different ideas. I get stuck in a rut when trying to think of styling ideas.

• Liz Stanley said… September 18, 2012 11:30 am

haa clearly if you’ve met me in person you’ll know that ashley is just a really good photographer!

23. Caroline said… September 18, 2012 8:48 am

You look So pretty Liz!! I love this. Honestly, this helps me so much! My favorite look is the rocker chic–LOVE those shoes! xo!!

• Liz Stanley said… September 18, 2012 11:27 am

That rocker one was the most fun to shoot. We called it the early morning AA meeting look or the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo look or the too cool for school like.