• Pencil vs. Pleats

By fashion contributor Ashley of The Daily Bucket

pencil skirt | pleated skirt

In case you missed it, we are doing a new fashion series called Versus! We take two similar items and get your opinion on which one YOU would pick and why. For example, the first post was pumps v.s. platforms. Click here to see the post and what people thought!

This week its pencil vs. pleats. Which style of skirt do you prefer? I’ve tried on a couple of pleated skirts lately and none of them screamed “take me home!” the way a pencil skirt does. So I am siding with the pencil. What are your thoughts? Fitted and sophisticated or flowy and fun?

1. CiCi Nordstrom said… August 23, 2012 10:21 am

Oh goodness, pleats for sure. I have a young, flat frame, and pencil skirts are just too mature and not my thing. Man, they look great on the right people, though. I happen to think pleats look best on any figure however, big or small! It’s all in how you dress it up, down, and accessorize! If you’ve got curves, ladies, flaunt it! And if you don’t (like me) flaunt it all the same! (Who doesn’t like that girly thing where the skirt billows out and your legs just peak out from underneath? SO CLASSIC!)

2. Cat said… August 13, 2012 11:02 am

like everyone else who commented, i love how pleats look on the rack, but unfortunately at 5’2, pencil skirts are more flattering on me.
      cat

3. Elizabeth said… August 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Pencil! I’m in the ‘pleats make me look huge’ category. Both are cute but for me it’s pencil all the way.

4. Grace said… August 9, 2012 3:06 pm

pleats!

5. Meredith said… August 9, 2012 2:18 pm

I love the look of a pencil skirt but it just doesn’t fit my body type so I would say pleats!

6. Corrie Anne said… August 9, 2012 12:55 pm

Definitely pencil. Pencil is HOTT!!

7. Lydia said… August 9, 2012 12:49 am

I like both, but I have kind of a large butt and hips in proportion to the rest of me, and pleats accentuate that….

8. Beth Ellen said… August 8, 2012 3:37 pm

I love the look of pencil skirts, but I look better in pleats. So, both? Depending on body type?

9. Sandra said… August 8, 2012 2:09 pm

Pleats all the way! My butt is too big to squeeze into a pencil skirt.

10. Corina Sorensen said… August 8, 2012 1:18 pm

I love the look of pencil skirts more than pleated skirts but I feel like pleated skirts are easier to wear (they look better on more people).

11. gia said… August 8, 2012 12:14 pm

I agree with you, pencil skirt and maybe a t-shirt to dress it down! Love!! Pleats look pretty, but not for me.

• gia said… August 8, 2012 12:17 pm

BTW— where is that pencil skirt from?? (in the pic)

• Ashley Aikele said… August 8, 2012 12:38 pm

It is from J.Crew. Sorry, the link got dropped. Should be up soon!

12. Sarah C. said… August 8, 2012 10:32 am

Pencil, for sure. I’m not much of a skirt wearer (oddly, I much prefer a dress to a skirt), but I like the look of a higher waisted pencil with a less formal top. Did you see the Kate Bosworth look? So cute:

• Ashley Aikele said… August 8, 2012 10:50 am

Wow I totally love this look! Pencil skirts have a boring “business” reputation… its nice to know there are other options out there that are more casual and even fun! Great find!

• Liz Stanley said… August 8, 2012 12:46 pm

I like the idea of a less formal tshirt top too with the pencil skirt. great ideas, everyone!

13. Tan said… August 8, 2012 10:29 am

Pleats pleats pleats! They’re just so flirty and flattering on every single body type. Just vary the pleat width for each body and every girl looks good! I love a good pencil too, but they aren’t as forgiving

• Ashley Aikele said… August 8, 2012 10:57 am

Great tip! I’ll have to remember this the next time I go shopping!

14. THE STEL STYLE said… August 8, 2012 9:19 am

I love the pleats, it’s fits better on me!!!

15. Jillian in Italy said… August 8, 2012 9:16 am

For me a mix between the two is perfect. Pencil makes me look like a string bean and pleated makes me look kinda frumpy. I find an a-line with a few pleats the most flattering for my body type (tall with not too many curves!). Is that answer allowed?!

• Ashley Aikele said… August 8, 2012 10:54 am

Of course that answer is allowed 🙂 Its all about figuring out what works best with your body type. It sounds like this rings true to what Tan said, “Just vary the pleat width for each body and every girl looks good!”

16. Kat said… August 8, 2012 6:41 am

Pleated, I like pencil skirts but they tend to come across more conservative. So I’ll go with pencil if I have an important meeting otherwise I’ll keep it fun and light

17. Freya said… August 8, 2012 6:09 am

Pencil. I personally LOVE the pleat LOOK but because I was blessed with a booty, pleats do not flatter me. i’ve tried. They have a tendency to make me look MORE puffy then I already am. Pencil skirts have a great way of making anyone look slim, I think. Especially a black one. I’m in a market for a new set of pencil skirts 🙂

• Laura said… August 8, 2012 6:34 am

Same here! I find pencil skirts accentuate my curves, while pleated skirts just make me look huge…

18. Rebecca in NC said… August 8, 2012 6:02 am

I would go with flirty and fun. I love pleats!