• Sites and Bites

Hey guys! For this week’s Sites and Bites we’re visiting two hidden gems in our neighborhood here in San Francisco: My favorite bookstore, Green Apple Books and delicious Vietnamese sandwiches at Bunn Mi.

Green Apple is one of those perfect little bookstores that sells new and used books. It’s small and personal, lots of handwritten recommendations on 4 x 6 cards, and really great sales too! I can often find many of our favorite children’s books for half the price of what they cost online. There are lots of local sections, both by San Francisco authors and about San Francisco. Also, it’s open super late- like midnight I think, which is awesome for late night browsing when you’re feeling uninspired or bored of what’s on tv.

Just across the street is a delicious, order at the counter Vietnamese spot to grab a quick lunch called Bunn Mi. They catered a lunch at the Art.com event a few weeks ago so I got to sample a bunch of different items from their menu and would recommend the grilled pork sandwiches the most. Also, the watermelon slush is a delicious compliment.

The best part? Their sandwiches are HUGE and only $4! Katrina and I have been going there on a regular basis and splitting the $4 grilled pork sandwich. Cheap and delicious lunch!

Keep reading to see a map of where to find these spots…

1. jenniferL said… July 27, 2012 2:45 pm

loving this series. these two are in our hood and we love going to both. you can’t beat the $4 sandwiches and we like to get a side of sweet potato fries too. can’t wait to see the mandalay post, definitely a favorite!!!

2. l o v e l y t h i n g s said… July 25, 2012 6:52 am

I think my daughter and I would love Green Apple Books and that sandwich…only $4…how is that even possible? It looks delicious!

3. Kate Jones said… July 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Green Apple Books is one of my favorite bookstores in the city! Isn’t it fun?!

4. Victoria said… July 24, 2012 10:34 am

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing! I love this series..

• Liz Stanley said… July 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks Victoria! It’s a fun series to do

5. Dionne said… July 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks for this series! Love it. I actually went with my boyfriend and baby to the Sutro Baths (recommended from one of your previous posts) this past weekend — so beautiful. Also, I was just in Green Apple today — buying a book for my baby girl, Milla! We live in Nopa/Western Addition but I love walking over there for good + cheap eats and Green Apple. :) My guess for the not so popular yet delicious Burmese place is Mandalay…?!

• Liz Stanley said… July 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Yup, Mandalay! So glad you checked out Sutro Baths. So cool, right?

6. Heather Mills said… July 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Sounds delicious and a great store, thanks Liz!

7. Gina said… July 23, 2012 12:02 pm

That’s such a cute rhyme – sites and bites. I love this post – thanks for sharing!

xo

8. Jennifer Nichols said… July 23, 2012 11:59 am

Oh, I love Green Apple! I found some amazing music via those index card recommendations years ago. It will be fun to browse around for kids books with my girls this time around. And those sandwiches look amazing!

• Liz Stanley said… July 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Yup, the music section is awesome too. I haven’t been in there as much but sounds like I should!

9. Katherine K said… July 23, 2012 10:05 am

wonderful tip! we enjoyed eating at a burmese spot close to there, i forget what it’s called. it was really good though

• Liz Stanley said… July 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey Katherine, most likely it was Burma Superstar down the street but there’s an even better Burmese place that isn’t as popular I’ll talk about for another post!