• Pump vs Platform

By fashion contributor Ashley of The Daily Bucket

We are starting a new series of fashion posts here on Say Yes to Hoboken! We will be comparing two different pieces that have something in common but are different and ask you readers to chime in as to which you prefer, just like chocolate vs. vanilla! This week I found two pairs of shoes, one is a mary jane pump while the other is a flatstack platform. Both are camel and black with suede and wood details. Normally I would go for the mary-jane but I’m digging the look of these flat platforms.  So which would you pick, the mary-jane pump or the platform?

1. Grace said… August 1, 2012 5:45 pm

The platforms for sure!

2. Sandy said… July 29, 2012 5:42 pm

The Mary Janes!!! I love them. While I do have wedges, I prefer heels. But platforms? I dunno, it makes my lankiness 3x more obvious to me and the complete difference my feet have from the ground just feels weird. Like walking on stairs too smaller then you’re used to. Luckily for me, I’m fantastic walking in heels and unnaturally comfortable in them. In fact, it pains my feet so much more wearing flats.

3. Emily said… July 26, 2012 11:46 am

I love the pumps! The straps on them are adorable.

4. Alison said… July 25, 2012 7:05 pm

The platforms, for sure!

5. Kate said… July 25, 2012 3:57 pm

I’m loving those platforms!!

6. K@ said… July 25, 2012 1:37 pm

definitely, pumps (with a side of chocolate!)

7. gia said… July 25, 2012 12:20 pm

I have muscular calves so platforms just don’t seem to look good on me- especially big platforms. I prefer the heel, it makes my body look a lot more feminine.

• Liz Stanley said… July 25, 2012 10:29 pm

I agree. I have muscular calves too

8. Elyse said… July 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I’m a pumps girl myself. Heels make my huge JLO booty look a TINY bit smaller. But I have recently fallen in love with some platforms. Definitely easy to dress up or down in any season.

Miss Aikele, you are the bomb. For the record, I prefer vanilla over chocolate.

• Ashley Aikele said… July 25, 2012 1:32 pm

You, Elyse, wear pumps better than anyone I know. Also, for the record I prefer vanilla too.

9. elicia said… July 25, 2012 11:56 am

i LOVE the mary jane pumps. I want to wear them!

10. THE STEL STYLE said… July 25, 2012 11:53 am

I like both!! I have some platform and they are very comfortable!!! I like the wooden detail too!!!

11. J9 said… July 25, 2012 11:37 am

I have a pair of wedges from Madewell and they have become by go too summer sandal this season. The wooden detail is awesome and I can walk around NYC in them without worrying about getting a heel caught in uneven sidewalks.

12. bethany said… July 25, 2012 11:37 am

I love those Mary Jane’s-the heel seems to be the perfect height. But generally I’m all about platforms. I think they’re more slimming to the leg and are easier to walk in than heels, which is important when you’re either carrying or chasing after kids. : )

13. Elena @ Randomly Happy said… July 25, 2012 11:25 am

Man those platform sandals are pretty amazing – they look like they are ready for an ice cream date and a spot of mischief. Overall, I think platforms are more comfortable, maybe because they offer a bit of cushioning for the balls of your feet?

Great new series. Looking forward to more.

x Elena @ Randomly Happy

14. Mandy said… July 25, 2012 11:18 am

Oh, I’m all about those Mary Janes. I can imagine them looking adorable with jeans, skirts, trousers…anything! The wedges are cute too, but I always feel so clunky wearing them. I don’t really know why.

15. Danielle said… July 25, 2012 11:10 am

I love the look of the platforms, but would worry how heavy or clunky they would feel with that wood…

16. Andrea Merritt said… July 25, 2012 11:09 am

Usually I love a good pair a of pumps, but I would definitely have to go for the platforms here! The mary-janes just look too secretarial for me, but the platforms make the black and camel look playful!

17. S @ keepitneat said… July 25, 2012 11:05 am

Tough call! I’m usually more drawn to wedges, but the flat platform would look terrible on my linebacker legs. So I vote maryjanes. More slimming for those of us blessed [read: cursed] with muscular calves.

PS, I love all the fonts you use on your site and features. Are they custom? Are they free? Enlighten me, please!

18. Sharon @ Discovering blog said… July 25, 2012 10:53 am

I’d actually pick the Mary Janes, but that is probably because I am both A) 5’10” and B) stuck working in a conservative field.

This is such a great color combo!

• Ashley Aikele said… July 25, 2012 11:06 am

It was nice to see someone pick the mary-janes, and with good reason. I think these would pair great with some skinny jeans for a “not so conservative look” on your day off!

19. Freya said… July 25, 2012 10:35 am

I would go with the platforms. I love platforms and wedges so much, I find them to be very comfortable.

• Liz Stanley said… July 25, 2012 10:53 am

I agree! Platforms are super comfy for me too. Although I have to admit they remind me of those horrible platform flip flops that I admittedly wore in 2001

• Elena @ Randomly Happy said… July 25, 2012 11:27 am

Ha ha. I remember those! I also remember a very bad run in with high heeled sneakers which were around in 1998… like the ones Sporty Spice used to wear. Man that was bad.

• Liz Stanley said… July 25, 2012 11:29 am

Haaa oh no! Yes, sporty spice started some notoriously bad fashion trends…

20. Bri said… July 25, 2012 10:14 am

Definitely the platform! I tend to find shorter and thick heels look really awkward on me, so wedge platforms are my favorite!

21. Emily said… July 25, 2012 8:59 am

Platforms. I actually own the pair of Madewell Platforms that you have pictured above! At this point in my life, I find this pair of shoes to be quite versatile. I often wear them to work and sometimes when I’m feeling sassy on the weekend, with a pair of dark jeans. 🙂

22. Sarah C. said… July 25, 2012 8:57 am

Platform for me. My style is a bit more casual, and I spend a lot of time at work wandering (with purpose, of course) my work campus (stretches a block and the buildings all have 3-stories…and no one takes the elevator). The platform just seems a bit more forgiving.

23. dionne said… July 25, 2012 8:20 am

Platforms! They’re more comfortable. And I like the way they look better. 🙂

24. sarah said… July 25, 2012 7:19 am

I love those platforms! The black and tan combo is perfect, and as a bonus they look a whole lot more comfy. The wood details are a nice touch!

• Ashley Aikele said… July 25, 2012 9:40 am

Black and tan is one of my favorite combos, so I agree that it makes this shoe spot on!

25. Diana said… July 25, 2012 7:01 am

I’d have to agree too, definitely the platforms. I think they are always slightly more casual than pumps which are perfect for summer, yet you can always dress them up. Great post, looking forward to other great finds for this series!

26. sara said… July 25, 2012 6:26 am

My vote will almost always be platforms. I am definitely ‘walking gracefully in heels’ challenged and I have the highest arches known to man, so I just seem to do better in platforms. Although, I will readily admit that I tend to think that heels look more polished than platforms most of the time.

Fun post!

27. Sharon @ Currently Coveting said… July 25, 2012 5:56 am

I’ve been wearing my platform sandals for the past couple of weeks and I’ve been loving it. I find them to be more comfortable than my mary-jane pumps! I love those platforms and think they are a great transition piece from summer to fall. My vote is for those platforms!

• Ashley Aikele said… July 25, 2012 9:35 am

Good point! I think the platforms would definitely make a nice transition into fall. Madewell actually featured them on their fall look book worn with socks!