• DIY: Polka Dot Shorts

By Michelle Edgemont

Polka dots are all the rage. Instead of dropping a pretty penny on brand new digs, a quick DIY using a pair of old shorts and cheap fabric paint will bring your wardrobe up to trend in no time.
    Keep reading to see how to make this cute pair!
    Supplies:
    One pair of solid shorts that need updating
    One small bottle of fabric paint. (I used iridescent lavender)
    A pencil with eraser
    Instructions:
    1. Squeeze a good amount of fabric paint onto scrap paper
    2. Dip the eraser edge of your pencil into the paint
    3. Starting on the front of the shorts, press the eraser onto the fabric making a dot. Each time I added paint to my eraser, I got about two dots out of it.
    4. Create one line of dots along the top of your shorts
    5. Place another line of dots under the first, with each dot in between the two above it
    6. Keep dotting! Look at the cute polka dot pattern you’re making!
    7. Let the first side of your shorts dry according to the directions on your paint. Honestly, mine said wait 24hrs, I only waited 45 minutes, because I was too excited to wear them!
    8. Flip the shorts over and use the eraser and paint to create more polka dots
    9. Wait until they are dry
    10. Wear and look super cute!

1. Sami Jo Jensen said… July 9, 2012 7:00 am

I’m gushing! These are so great, and simple, too. Thanks for sharing this! I may have to buy some new shorts just to do this… :)

2. […] adorable diy polka dot shorts from Michelle Edgemont on Say Yes to […]

3. Edna said… July 5, 2012 3:14 am

OMG! Best D.I.Y. ever.

4. beks said… July 4, 2012 5:01 pm

this is just too cute!

think of the things you could polkadot!

5. (that's so) raven said… July 2, 2012 3:57 pm

Super super cute shorts DIY!! Not sure if you know, but your shorts + mine are featured on Martha Stewart’s website in the “craft dept.” Check it out here ;)

xo,
      raven

6. Monday Links to Love | The Lemonade Stand said… July 2, 2012 6:44 am

[…] I’m obsessed with polka dots and will be using this polka dot shorts tutorial very […]

7. JAne said… July 1, 2012 7:00 pm

I love this DIY, it was so it when the bijou girls did it on colored jeans, and now, shorts! It must be all over pininterest, now.

8. Lisa said… July 1, 2012 1:30 pm

Polkadots are awesome! This is a great idea

9. Sunday Link Love » Logical Harmony said… July 1, 2012 8:37 am

[…] DIY Polka Dot Shorts from Say Yes To Hoboken – So adorable! This would be a great DIY to follow and do some polka dot canvas shoes, too! […]

10. […] ice cream trailer (photo above) | the most adorable french toast post | DIY polka dot shorts […]

11. Jenny @ Hank + Hunt said… June 22, 2012 6:19 am

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I’ve had my eyes on some mildly out of my budget skinny jeans but I will totally try this instead. HOORAY!

12. Rachel said… June 19, 2012 2:06 pm

GENIUS! I love everything about this DIY!

13. kendall said… June 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I love this DIY! It’s a perfect way to redo a pair of shorts I’ve stuffed in the back of the drawer. I can’t wait!

14. Anshu said… June 19, 2012 10:44 am

These look so cool. You did a great job of lining up the dots, symmetrical things scare me a lot. Very easy refashion idea otherwise.

15. Freya said… June 19, 2012 9:38 am

Um, why I’m not on my way to the craft store right NOW is pure laziness! So cute! I’m having one of those ‘why didn’t I think of that?! ‘ moments :)

Fromfreyawithlove.blogspot.com
      Fromfreyawithlove.blogspot.com

16. Rebecca in NC said… June 19, 2012 5:34 am

Cute, cute, cute! That would be so quick and easy (and cheaper than buying a new pair of shorts).