• DIY: Mini Embroidered Cards and Handmade Envelopes

Sometimes it’s the little connections that makes the biggest difference in our day. Getting a personal card in the mail, a thoughtful email from a friend when you’re having a bad day, or connecting with an old elementary school friend online. It makes me so thankful to be living in an era of technology where it’s just so easy to connect and maintain friendships, even when they live miles away.

It’s those small, thoughtful things that make all the difference in our relationships, don’t you think? These mini embroidered cards and handmade envelopes, though small, are personal and sweet. You can create any simple design you’d like for the embroidering and stamp out any message. They’re really fun to make too! Is it weird that I want to send one to myself? Because I just might. They’re too cute!

I’d love to hear your ideas though: what do you do to enrich your relationships with family and friends who live far away?

Keep reading to see the full tutorial on making these yourself…

First we’ll make the handmade envelopes. We’ll make the template for the envelope before cutting it on pretty paper. Using a ruler, pen, and scrap paper, draw a square 3 inches long on each side. Then form another square 2 inches long on inside that fits in the middle of that larger square (you can actually wait to do this part until you’re cutting on fancy paper but I was just practicing. Cut out that larger square.

Isn’t this paper pretty? Melanie from Fifth and Hazel sent it to me a while back and I’ve been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it.

Cut out a few pieces of fancy paper with your template

I re-drew the inside square onto the new paper so I knew where to fold.

Fold the triangles in and seal with a sticker after placing the card inside.

Now onto the embroidered cards!

Cut pieces of super thick card stock a bit smaller than the envelope.

Mark with a pen the outline of a design, making the dots not too close together. Then poke holes with a thumbtack.

Embroider away! If you’re new to embroidering on paper, check out this post of mine here where I walk through the process in more detail.

Stamp a personal message with a mini stamp set like this one of mine

You’re done! You can glue another piece of paper on the back to write an additional note if you wish.

Happy card making!

1. DIY: Kort med stygn | inomhus said… May 27, 2012 1:16 pm

[…] glad! Foton av Liz Stanley med fina bloggen Say yes to Hoboken, där det också finns en utförlig tutorial. Share this:TwitterFacebookGillaGillaBli först att gilla Det här inlägget postades i DIY, Kort […]

2. […] Embroidered cards […]

3. Nikki T said… May 23, 2012 7:54 am

I love this idea! My bf and I work diffrent shifts so I always like to leave him little notes and such. This will be so cute for him to wake up too. Thanks!

4. Smash said… May 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I can’t wait to give this a try! I love that this adds such a personal touch to small cards. Now, hopefully I don’t screw it up too bad….

5. Debbie said… May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Fantastic!!
      I’d love to receive one as well!

6. Emily @ Peck Life said… May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

These are pretty cute and adorable. 🙂 I love!

7. Carol Smith said… May 22, 2012 12:27 pm

These are so cute! I love making handmade cards too

8. Hilary said… May 22, 2012 12:05 pm

These are adorable! I’ll be making a few soon!
      I’m a college student in Baltimore and my parents still live in Georgia. To keep in touch, we Skype every Sunday. I love being able to see them, if only for an hour or so a week.

• Liz Stanley said… May 22, 2012 4:41 pm

We do that too a lot on Sundays. It’s funny how that becomes kind of a weekly tradition!

9. natalie @ The SoHo said… May 22, 2012 9:10 am

So stinkin’ cute! What a sweet card to receive in the mail. Snail mail is one of my favorite ways to stay connected with people. There’s something so personal and thoughtful about it.

• Liz Stanley said… May 22, 2012 9:30 am

So true, right? When was the last time you got letter in the mail for no particular reason? It’s so special

10. Rebecca - A Daily Something said… May 22, 2012 9:01 am

I LOVE these, Liz! I’ve tried something similar, but never punched the shape out first….So brilliant…I feel like this makes it sooo much easier! 🙂

11. Iris Mills said… May 22, 2012 8:54 am

These are really cute. I love the wish you were here one in the shape of california. I’d love to try embroidery sometime. Speaking of connecting with old friends, i just chatted with a friend from Ohio for like an hr yesterday online. it made me so happy.

• Liz Stanley said… May 22, 2012 4:41 pm

That’s so sweet! I love finding old friends too and getting back in touch