• 6 Must-Know Lipstick Tricks

This post is sponsored by Dove® ClearTone™ Deodorant – designed to visibly reduce underarm dark marks and even skin tone.

Bright lipstick has been a hot trend for a few seasons now. Up until a couple years ago I rarely wore lipstick and now I wear it when I’m headed anywhere one step up from the grocery store. I’ve learned a few things along the way, would you like to know my favorite lipstick tricks? I’d love to hear yours as well!

Images by Liz Daly Photography based in the Bay area.

1. No Lipstick Marks on Your Glass: Discreetly lick the rim of your glass before sipping. Seriously, try it! It works!

2. Mix Shades: Instead of buying a new lipstick this season, try layering shades you already have. Above I combined coral and red for a dark pink.

Keep reading to all six tricks, including my favorite tip for repairing a broken lipstick (Ugg. Don’t you hate when that happens?)

3. More Matte: Apply a layer of pressed powder in between coats to make the color more matte and intense.

4. DIY Tinted Lip gloss: Add dabs of your favorite lipstick shade onto your lip and then coat and smooth with a layer of clear gloss. Sometimes I add a bit more lipstick after the gloss is on if I want even more color.

5. Fill with Liner: Use liner on your lips to keep your lipstick color last longer. Fill in your entire lips with a lip liner shade similar to the shade of your lipstick. Add lipstick on top of the liner layer. The liner stays on much longer so you won’t have substitute teacher lips!

6. Repairing a Broken Lipstick: This might be my favorite tip! Instead of throwing away a broken lipstick, barely melt the broken off piece with a lit match. When it has melted a bit (only takes a few seconds), put the broken piece back on top of the base, and swivel it down. Let it harden in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before using.

I’d love to hear your favorite lipstick or beauty tricks- what tips do you swear by?

1. Red Lips « Sacred Monkeys of the Vatican said… May 17, 2012 10:41 am

[…] we are on the subject, here are some great lipstick tricks! (Via Say Yes to Hoboken) Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]

2. Cortney said… May 10, 2012 3:03 pm

I have fair skin and my features tend to get washed out if i wear red lips… any color ideas that might work for a fair skin blondie?

• Liz Stanley said… May 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Have you tried any pink tones or coral?

• Cortney said… May 11, 2012 8:19 am

I have not tried pink or coral… I did try an orangy pink … that did not go over well. I think I might just venture on over to beauty brands or saphora and try on some different shades of pink and coral. Thanks for the advice

• Jenny said… May 14, 2012 7:33 pm

I am really pale and blonde and if I don’t want it crazy bright I use a neutral color over the top of the red to tone it down a little, like MAC viva glam V.

3. Fresh Daily Deals at Waka Network said… May 8, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks for sharing to us on how to repair broken lipstick. I can now save my favorite lipstick :)

4. SuperDaniYell said… May 8, 2012 4:43 pm

After applying the lipstick, I stick a finger in my mouth, make an O around it (loosely) and pull my finger out. It always grabs the extra lipstick that could potentially get on your teeth.
      Works like a charm every time! Just don’t let anyone watch you do it, it looks weird.

• Liz Stanley said… May 10, 2012 8:40 am

Oooh awesome idea! Thanks for the tip

5. monkeyjen said… May 8, 2012 4:29 pm

1. Line carefully. Fill in.
      2. Apply lipstick.
      3. Put a single layer tissue over your lips. Tap loose powder on the tissue, where your lips are. Close your lips to blot off any excess.
      4. Reapply and do the tissue/powder/blot thing.

I do this when wearing RED lipstick (MAC Russian Red). You will be good to go for a long time if you eat and drink a little carefully. I usually only have to do minor touch-ups after several hours. I’m always amazed when I check my mirror and my lips still look great!

• Liz Stanley said… May 8, 2012 5:44 pm

How funny, I have that same lipstick, same shade! I’ll definitely try that trick

6. Wendy Ballsterw said… May 8, 2012 1:48 pm

Love these tips! I used the homemade lip gloss one all the time, since college

7. Mimi said… May 8, 2012 12:52 pm

I just started wearing bold lipstick this winter. My absolute favorite is Nars’ Cruella. The issue I always have it the color “cracking”. I have tried the lip liner solution but I am thinking that your powder trick may work for that issue as well! I’m going to have give it a try now!

• Liz Stanley said… May 8, 2012 1:50 pm

I love Nars too. That powder trick for cracking lips sounds like it just might work, let me know if it does and I’ll link to it!

• janelle said… May 10, 2012 10:50 am

I have NARS Cruella too! My favorite red! I just bought a clear lip primer and clear lip liner from target today that i’m going to try with my lipsticks

8. Ylenia said… May 8, 2012 12:48 pm

I haven’t being here for ages! your blog has become even more beautiful then I remember.
      I should come back soon!

Love, Ylenia from Longuette

• Liz Stanley said… May 8, 2012 1:51 pm

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!

9. Katherine K said… May 8, 2012 12:01 pm

I’m a darker shade girl too but these are great tips for any shade I think. I love the mixing colors one. Your result is inspiring me to try mixing as well

10. Emily Frame said… May 8, 2012 9:21 am

Cant wait to try the melt & freeze trick!
      I learned when i danced competitively to put a tiny swipe of Vaseline over my front few teeth, that way lipstick doesn’t stick to them.
      Another unfortunate substitute teacher mishap avoided!

• Liz Stanley said… May 8, 2012 11:42 am

Great idea for the vaseline trick! Will have to try that one. Thanks Emily!

11. natalie @ The SoHo said… May 8, 2012 8:49 am

Great tricks! I’m a total chicken when it comes to bold lipstick but these tips have got me inspired.

• Liz Stanley said… May 8, 2012 11:43 am

Give it a try! It’s so fun to wear a bold color especially this time of year :)

12. robync said… May 8, 2012 8:42 am

I wish I could pull off bright lipstick, I’m a darker shade type of girl though. Loved all the tips!