• DIY: Mini Boxy Makeup Bag

This post is sponsored by Dove® ClearTone™ Deodorant – designed to visibly reduce underarm dark marks and even skin tone.
    Photography on this project by Liz Daly who is a fantastic San Francisco based photographer specializing in weddings and kids. See more about her work here.

I’m sharing a great DIY today for creating this boxy mini makeup bag. Compact enough for your stylish purse but big enough to fit all your touch up supplies you may need for a party, evening out, or special event like a wedding.

If you’ve never worked with a zipper before, this will be a great project to learn on. I promise, it’s really easy!

Keep reading to see the full tutorial…

Supplies:

Two coordinating fabric (one is preferably upholstery weight), Zipper, Coordinating thread, Pins, Sewing Machine, Scissors, Ruler

Step 1: Cut two pieces of each fabric choice. Each piece should be 5 1/2 x 9 1/2

Step 2: Lay one of the outer fabrics face up on your table, and set the zipper on top, face down so the top edge meets the top edge of the fabric. Then lay one of your lining pieces right side down to meet the top edge as well.

Step 3: Pin along that top edge so all three pieces are attached.

Step 4: Baste with needle and thread and then sew with your zipper foot along that top edge. Move your outer fabric so it’s on the outside, right side up.

Step 5: Now place the second lining fabric right side up on your table, then sandwich the pieces you just sewed in between, and finishing with the second outer piece right side down on top.

Step 6: Pin, baste and sew with the zipper foot on the top edge like you did for the other side.

Step 7:  After sewing, iron the outer pieces flat, and then fold them together so the outer pieces are right side together and lining pieces sandwiching them.

Step 8: Pin at the opposite side of the zipper and sew along that bottom edge.

Step 9. Move the zipper to the middle, unzip it halfway and sew along those two sides, through the zipper (pinch the zipper together when you’re sewing through it).

Step 10: Pinch each edge in and measure with your ruler 2 1/2 inches across.

Step 11: Mark with a pen that line and then pin next to the it. Sew along the line you drew and then snip off the triangle end. Do the same for all four sides.

Step 12: Fold it inside out, so the outer pieces are on top and you’re done!

1. Caroline said… May 15, 2012 9:14 am

Wonderful tutorial! I featured you on my tutorial roundup! Thanks for sharing!

Caroline
      Cold Hands Warm Heart Crafts

2. nae said… May 12, 2012 1:40 pm

I just made this! IT TURNED OUT AWESOME!!! thank you! :)

3. Esther said… May 12, 2012 1:17 am

Wow, now that looks easy! Great tut, thanx!

4. lily said… May 6, 2012 7:23 pm

made this and the fold-over clutch today and love them both! Added a bright liner to the clutch and a snap to keep it folded- thanks so much for the excellent (and EASY!) tutorials!

5. Linzi said… May 2, 2012 12:44 pm

I love this! especially the contrasting fabrics x I MUST MAKE!

6. Bernadette said… April 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Great tutorial! I just whipped one up and love the result. Do you have any hints on how to modify this so that all of the seams are finished? I was able to get the bottom seam reversed, but cannot figure out the sides :)

7. Lara said… April 28, 2012 10:18 pm

This is a great tutorial! Probably the easiest makeup bag i’ve ever seen. That zipper looks like a piece of cake! Do you know the finished size on this bag? I am just trying to decide if I want to make it the same size or a little bigger/smaller! Thanks!

8. With Love From… « pellonprojects said… April 23, 2012 12:14 pm

[…] re-pinned by Lynne Bradley — source: Say Yes To Hoboken 14. pinned by Sarah Eastberg — source: Terrabyte Farm 15. re-pinned by Everything Etsy […]

9. elease stice said… April 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I am totally in love with this! What makes it so cute is your fabric choice. If only I could pay you to make me one! ;) love your cute blog- so happy I found it via pinterest. xo

10. laura said… April 19, 2012 8:08 pm

just made one of these, very cute! thanks for the tutorial!
      laura

11. Anna @ IHOD said… April 18, 2012 4:27 am

Liz, not only does this seem manageable, the fabric choices are perfect:)
      Pinning this!
      :) Anna

• Liz Stanley said… April 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks Anna! You’re so sweet

12. Dee said… April 18, 2012 12:11 am

great project I am adding to my ‘to-project’ list!!
      btw – what length zipper did you use for the tutorial?
      thanks again!

• Liz Stanley said… April 18, 2012 10:40 am

My zipper was really long (16 inches I think?), you can use a longer length than your bag, you just sew through the zipper to create the end.

13. Marisa said… April 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I just made one of these and it came out rad! I used a grey material with yellow/white bike print for the outside and quilted one side with a few stripes on the diagonal (w silver thread for sassiness!!). The liner is black w irregular yellow dots. Like I said, rad. But seriously, this is my favorite sewing tutorial I’ve found for any bag (and I’ve collected LOTS of tuts). Thanks for giving me a great set of directions for making this bag!!

P.S. for super-direction-following-folk: the 9th step that closes the short side and sews through the zipper needs to be repeated on the opposite side as well. Obvious? -or- Helpful?

xo!

• Liz Stanley said… April 18, 2012 10:41 am

I’m so glad to hear you made one and it turned out! And thank you for the nice compliment on the tutorial. If you have a link to the one you made, I’d love to see it. It sounds lovely!

14. Chrissy said… April 17, 2012 7:23 pm

This bag is so cute! I cant sew but I’d buy it in a second!

15. Steph said… April 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Is there any trick to sewing through a zipper without breaking your needle?

• Liz Stanley said… April 17, 2012 9:22 pm

I’ve never had a problem sewing over a zipper, might maybe I’ve just gotten lucky?

16. Marae said… April 17, 2012 5:17 pm

I love it! Putting this on my list of projects, and I love the colors/fabrics you chose. Aand, Burt’s Bees pom is the best.

17. Wendy Ballster said… April 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Liz! What a great project. I want to try it asap for my wedding coming up next month (eek!)

18. Elisa said… April 17, 2012 1:31 pm

This isn’t something I’ll be able to do, since I am craft-impaired and don’t have a sewing machine, but I do love the project! And the fact that you paired stripes and florals :-)

• Liz Stanley said… April 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Give it a shot! It’s not hard, I bet you can do it :)

19. Rebecca in NC said… April 17, 2012 11:08 am

How awesome!!

20. Sarah said… April 17, 2012 11:07 am

I love this!!! The combination of yellow, stripes and flowers is perfect!!

– Sarah
      agirlintransit.blogspot.com

21. Caitlin said… April 17, 2012 10:01 am

I love this! I’ve been wanting to update my toiletry case but never thought of customizing it. I am not good at patterns but these pictures will definitely help. Thanks Liz!

• Liz Stanley said… April 17, 2012 10:31 am

Totally! You can choose any colors and make it any size you want :)

22. Alix said… April 17, 2012 9:46 am

You are so damn crafty woman….this is fabulous!! And love your fabric choices!

• Liz Stanley said… April 17, 2012 10:28 am

Thank you, Alix!

23. Lindsay Nieler said… April 17, 2012 9:34 am

Very cute! I could use one of these and great fabric choices.

24. lisa bells said… April 17, 2012 8:08 am

love the fabric! where did you get it??

• Liz Stanley said… April 17, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks Lisa! The striped is from Ikea (think?) and the floral is from Liberty London