• DIY: Valentine’s Day Mini Cake Stands

I spotted heart shaped plaques at my local craft store and thought they’d be perfect combined with wooden spools or candlesticks holders to make a set of mini cake stands for Valentine’s Day.

A lovely way to present a few special Valentine’s Day treats like decorative cakes, cookies, petit fours, chocolates, heart shaped meatloafs. Go crazy, people.

Making two or three or twenty in varying sizes, heights, and tones is really nice for presentation. I picked one large heart plaque and one small one, but my craft store had a few options in between too. I’d love to go back and make a couple more to add to the collection, experimenting with colors and decoration (ribbon! lace! painted polka dots! stripes!)

I couldn’t wait to finish the photo shoot to sample each of these petit fours I picked up from a local bakery. Valentine’s Day came early for me this year. Om nom nom.

Full tutorial for making these pretty Valentine’s Day cake plates after the jump!

I found these wooden heart plaques, spools, and candle stick at my local craft store. The plaques and candlestick were about $2.50 each, the spools $.99. So each cake plate came out to about $3.50 + paint.

I hot glued two spools together. You could build up more on top of these as well.

Then I hot glued the candlestick and the attached spools to each of the cake plates. Making sure they were centered so treats wouldn’t topple when standing.

Wait until the glue dries completely, which only takes a few minutes.

Find a well ventilated area to spray paint and go to town, making sure to do an even coat all the way around.

The light pink stand needed about 3 coats to cover it effectively. A non toxic paint would be a good idea too, although I think there are protective sprays to do a finish coat with (anyone know?) Found! By reader Melissa! Acrylic spray is the thing to get. Add ribbon or decorate as you wish.

Bake your heart shaped meatloaf and present with pride. PS Here’s a trick for heart shaped baking!

1. margherita@lechatdesucre.com said… February 13, 2012 9:48 am

BEAUTIFUL! What a creative mind! Complimenti!!!

2. LucyExpress said… February 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Hello! I think the idea is very cute and very well presentable for Valentine’s Day (Since it has hearts and Valentine’s Day colors!) I would like to present this on my blog next Friday with your permission to use a photo found on Craftgawker or here if that’s alright with you. Don’t worry. I’ll link back in textform for full credit!

If that’s alright with you, please contact me here:
      lucyexpresscontact [at] yahoo [dot] com

Thank you very much! Please contact me by February 15 back with a link to this post so I’ll know which post I contacted you about.

3. Valentine Ideas « said… February 10, 2012 7:04 am

[…] This is a WONDERFUL tutorial for making heart shaped cake stands – I am definitely going to be giving this a try! Via Say Yes to Hoboken. […]

4. […] DIY Valentine’s Day Mini Cake Stands – Say Yes to Hoboken [here]; 006. DIY Clay Hearts – Lovely Indeed! [here]; 007. Valentine Treat Cups – Martha […]

5. jewel miller said… February 8, 2012 3:49 am

Beautiful and they look so easy to make.

6. Hear, Hear! : The Cat’s Meow « Kitty Cat Stevens said… February 7, 2012 12:46 pm

[…] These diy Valentine’s Day cake stands make such a delightful tablescape! I would love to create a little dessert bar […]

7. Jen said… February 7, 2012 6:52 am

Ridiculously adorable. Love them and the creativity that went into putting the materials together!

• Liz Stanley said… February 7, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks Jen! How nice! I only wish I had saved those petit fours. They sounds so yummy right now!

8. Diana F said… February 6, 2012 4:09 pm

Oh awesome DIY!

9. Shirley S said… February 6, 2012 12:20 pm

So cute, love it!

10. Laura said… February 6, 2012 12:12 pm

So cute! I’d love to put a three-tiered heart cake on top. Heart overload!

• Liz Stanley said… February 7, 2012 12:58 pm

Great idea! That got me thinking, maybe a tiered cake stand too??

11. Kristina said… February 6, 2012 11:55 am

Beautiful. I have the cutest mini heart cake silicone molds that would make darling cakes to go with this. Must add these items to my purchase list. 🙂 Thanks Liz!

• Liz Stanley said… February 6, 2012 2:22 pm

Sounds adorable!

12. Melissa // thefauxmartha said… February 6, 2012 11:51 am

Love this cute DIY! Always looking for mini cake stands. I guess I’ll have to make my own now. Love your style.

13. Jessica said… February 6, 2012 10:31 am

Oh yummmy. I think I’m more focused on the cake than the actual stand.

14. Natalie Fleming said… February 6, 2012 10:19 am

Oh I love these! And I totally want to try heart shaped meatloafs. LOL

• Liz Stanley said… February 7, 2012 9:00 pm

Um, that sounds completely amazing. Do. And then tell me all about it.

15. Shannon @ A Mom's Year said… February 6, 2012 10:00 am

I love this idea!

16. Chrissy Marsh said… February 6, 2012 9:01 am

Oh my goodness! Beautiful project. Lovely photos too. I’m impressed. You do the styling and photography yourself? I’m just a blogger starting out but you are inspiration to me!

• Liz Stanley said… February 6, 2012 9:23 am

You’re so sweet, thank you!

17. Jillian in Italy said… February 6, 2012 8:42 am

Oh these are gorgeous. And I just found a Petit Four recipe in an old Martha Stewart magazine (from 2005) that I’m going to make this week. Time to get out the glue gun and the oven mitts. Thanks!

18. Melissa said… February 6, 2012 8:31 am

So cute!! I was at home depot last week and spent a reallllllly long time checking out their selection of spindles so I could DIY some cake plates. But then I realized I already have over a dozen DIY cakes plates. My brother jokingly said at Christmas, “Hey Lu, I know what to get you for your birthday….a cake plate.” Hardy-har-har. Everybody had a good laugh at that one.

I tried to seal some plates I made with a clear acrylic spray and it made the paint blister, but that was on metal, not wood. I would think on wood it would make them shiny and pretty!

• Liz Stanley said… February 6, 2012 9:17 am

Acrylic spray! I knew there was something like that. Perfect. I’ll go grab some now and see how it goes. Also, I’m totally with you on the too make DIY projects hanging around. It’s a big ridiculous for me too!