• The Oh So Fabulous Buns of Alt Summit

(photos by: Brooke Dennis) Anna of Tulip Louise and Michelle of Second Street East

When I started scrolling through the Alt Summit photos I was inspired by all the beautiful messy (and not so messy) buns attendees were sporting! I even spied a few socks buns! Here are a few of my favorites:

(photos: Brooke Dennis) Jess of IRockSoWhat and Sarah of For the Love of Blog Therapy

Keep reading to see more!

(photos: Brooke Dennis)

(photos: Brooke Dennis and Moss and Issac) Holly of Nothing but Bonfires

(photos: Brooke Dennis) Susan of Crafterhours and Amber of The Girl is Craftee

(photos: Brooke Dennis)

(photos: Justin Hackworth, Brooke Dennis) Katie Summerhays and Rebecca Gholdston Wright

Wanna learn how to make a fancy sock bun? Here’s my tutorial in case you missed it

If your stylish bun in one of these photos let me know and I’ll give you some linky love!

1. Meg said… February 7, 2012 9:49 am

am i the only person who thinks it’s depressing that all of these women look the same? does everyone have to wear the same buns and glasses to be “alt”?

2. Lindsey said… February 1, 2012 7:21 am

I’ve been growing my hair long for some time now with the express intent of wearing a bun like these! It needs to be long enough for a top-of-the-head bun very soon because my four month old daughter can really grab now! I think it will be the perfect out-of-the-way hair solution that will still allow me to maintain a level of chicness as a new mom. Ideal! Thanks for the inspiration to keep growing. xo

3. Jennifer said… January 31, 2012 8:00 pm

Love this! I have thin hair too and definitely going to try the sock bun.

4. Rolf said… January 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Awesome info once again! Thanks a lot.

5. Katie said… January 31, 2012 7:43 am

Oh my…there were so many fabulous buns at Alt! So envious of all the great hair!

6. [...] See my favorite oh-so-fabulous buns from Alt Summit right here [...]

7. marla said… January 28, 2012 5:46 am

Such an adorable post!! Love the buns & I must attend this conference next year. Just found you via Alison Lewis :)

8. Sarah said… January 27, 2012 11:05 am

I’m loving these!! What a great roundup of fabulous buns!

9. Lexy @ The Proper Pinwheel said… January 27, 2012 8:57 am

I just love buns and I just love your blog. Maybe my family will understand my obsession after seeing this. :) Shared this on my blog today. This roundup is so cool and is proof that buns rule. (I’m a poet!)

10. Kristin Appenbrink said… January 27, 2012 8:12 am

Hi Liz, Anna from Tulip Louise actually did a tutorial on how to create her awesome bun. I can’t wait to try it this weekend! http://bit.ly/zmctzE

• Liz Stanley said… January 27, 2012 10:08 am

oh, awesome! Just checked out her video. Will definitely be giving it a try!

11. Nothing But Bonfires said… January 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Ooh, my bun is there! (Wow, what a funny sentence.) Am flattered to be in such good bun company — mine was definitely a “throw it up on top of my head and hope it works out” kind of thing! Am going to have to try and master some of the other more polished ones now.

12. whoorl said… January 26, 2012 7:21 pm

I could look at this post over and over! Love a messy bun!

13. Barbie // Fringe and Feathers said… January 26, 2012 1:09 pm

This post makes me totally wish I had hair!

14. Michelle said… January 26, 2012 10:16 am

sooo cute! Love your pics.

• Liz Stanley said… January 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks Michelle! It was so great seeing you

15. Fashion Notes from the Internet, 1/26/12 said… January 26, 2012 8:47 am

[...] The Oh So Fabulous Buns of Alt Summit from Say Yes to Hoboken [...]

16. Maria @ Cheeky Pink Tulip said… January 26, 2012 4:14 am

It seriously looks like a prerequisite of attending Alt Summit was sporting a bun! Looks a very stylish event indeed!

Maria xx

17. Abbie said… January 25, 2012 7:51 pm

The black buffalo check and ochre cardigan is MStetson. I cut all my hair off two weeks before Alt and am not uber jealous of all of the buns floating around!

18. Char said… January 25, 2012 6:55 pm

New to your blog and I am loving every minute of reading it!!!!!! So jealous of your Alt Summit trip! Hoping to attend one day! =)
      Char xo

• Liz Stanley said… January 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Oh thank you, Char!

19. Cari said… January 25, 2012 5:25 pm

The fabulous redhead from “for the love of…” is Sarah. You added Susan’s name to the wrong photo. :)

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2012 11:43 pm

oh, thank you cari! just changed it :)

20. Kayla said… January 25, 2012 5:19 pm

The girl in the b&w striped shirt, black cardi and chunky necklace is Holly Burns from Nothing but Bonfires. Love her!

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2012 11:42 pm

thanks kayla!

21. Aimee Giese | Greeblemonkey said… January 25, 2012 4:42 pm

My 9yo son commented to me last week that the girls in his class are wearing sock buns. My husband was like ??????

I love that my hair finally long enough to go bun.

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2012 4:53 pm

HA! That is hilarious. Of course 9 yr olds are more fashionable than us!

22. begone anemic buns! « love it on purpose said… January 25, 2012 4:31 pm

[...] After following a link from Oh Happy Day‘s recap of the recent Alt Summit, I ended up at Say Yes to Hoboken, where I was inundated with picture after picture of gorgeous buns (and great taste in [...]

23. Susan said… January 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Hahaha! I’m the blonde next to Amber. Maybe I should do something other than a ponytail more often. :)

24. Sarah said… January 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for featuring my bun! I loved your panel at Alt. I was really inspired by your story and wanted to meet you/attend your thrifting tour but didn’t get a chance! Next year! Thrifting is one of the biggest blessings about living in Utah I think. :) (I’m next to Jess on the right in the blue) PS your new site design is totally lovely.

25. Jess said… January 25, 2012 2:22 pm

We got big buns and we cannot lie.

26. Bella Foxtrot said… January 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Where I come from, we call this style the Surry Hills top knot.

27. Amanda said… January 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Great post and images! I was so excited to see moi on here totally made my day! I hope I don’t sound conceded but really how fun xoxo!

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Amanda, which one are you! I’ll give you some linky love!

28. Alt Summit 2012 said… January 25, 2012 1:41 pm

[...] the main bullet points. Some of the prettiest business cards at Alt, talk about pressure! People did their hair all fancy! Lisa Congdon has a great recap. From a dude’s point of view. (They were few and far [...]

29. barbara brown said… January 25, 2012 11:37 am

wow alt looks like so much fun. i looked through the alt photos, very inspiring. buns are awesome and an easy way to look put together quickly. i keep thinking about cutting my hair short though.
      P.s. i am hosting a jewelry giveaway on my blog that i think you and your readers might be interested in.

30. DENISE. said… January 25, 2012 10:39 am

Love this! I have long hair & love this look but can’t make it look right on me. I’ve mastered the low and messy look. High and prim just might not be in my future :)

31. Laura said… January 25, 2012 10:21 am

So many awesome buns. I’m glad that semi-messy hair is so in!

32. Michelle Henderson said… January 25, 2012 8:59 am

I am the one next to Anna of Tulip Louise :)

• Liz Stanley said… January 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Great! Just added you in :)

33. NauticalWheeler said… January 25, 2012 6:37 am

That’s a lot of buns! It’s always my go-to hair style if I’m in a rush

From Brooklyn with love,

Jen

34. Jessica said… January 25, 2012 2:16 am

I love buns! Most of the time mine don’t come out looking “messy chic”, but oh well. I do have my “home bun” which is just my hair piled on top of my head – my mom says it makes me look like Pebbles from The Flinstones.

35. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! said… January 25, 2012 12:20 am

So cute! This is always my default hairstyle because I am lazy, but these look really stylish!

36. katie beth summerhays said… January 24, 2012 10:22 pm

making your bun post = me feeling pretty special!

(i’m the bun wearing girl sitting next to rebecca in the last picture!)

thanks, liz!

xx

(and still so sad i missed out on your saturday thrift tour… fiance is now doing much better!)

37. Amber said… January 24, 2012 8:22 pm

It certainly was a bun convention wasn’t it?! Thanks for featuring my messy mop!

• Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Amber, which one are you? I’ll give you and your stylish bun credit!

38. sharon said… January 24, 2012 7:54 pm

LOVe this post.

• Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks Sharon! You so should have been there! You were missed

39. Esther said… January 24, 2012 7:16 pm

i love this post! AND i love your new design. love love love.

• Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2012 7:41 pm

thank you! how sweet

40. wishful nals said… January 24, 2012 6:47 pm

this is amazing. :)

41. Katie said… January 24, 2012 6:19 pm

I love throwing a sock in my bun. As a stay at home mom it really ups my chic factor.

• Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2012 7:41 pm

I know, seriously. I’m kind of mourning the loss of my long hair looking at these buns!

42. Liz Stanley said… January 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Hm, not sure. I’ll look into it!