• Where You Came From

I always like to buy a new stack of books this time of year for Henry’s birthday and Christmas. This is one of my very favorite books,Where You Came From by Sara O’Leary. The little boy’s name is Henry (!) and it’s a really sweet, beautifully written, and gorgeously illustrated discussion between the mother, father and son as they try to remember where he came from, “Don’t you remember? Your mother grew you in her garden. She said the hardest part was waiting, be patient, stopping herself from picking you too soon”.

I’d highly recommend it for a young child or toddler whose too young for the real birds and bees talk. A friend recommended it to us a year ago and I still can’t get through it without tearing up a little bit. It’s so sweet.

Stay tuned! Next week I’ll be sharing my top ten books for toddlers

1. Mormon Market said… November 21, 2011 2:19 pm

What a great gift idea! I'm definitely going to keep that in mind as I do my holiday shopping this year. I might even get it for my baby niece! Thanks so much for sharing!

2. Nicole Coleman said… November 18, 2011 2:27 pm

For the past four years I've been giving When You Were Small to just about every baby I need a present for. That and a simple tee from Flora and Henri. It always goes over well. And last month I read it to my little girls kindergarten class since it's one of our families favs. They loved it! Thank you Sara for such lovely stories.

3. Sara O'Leary said… November 18, 2011 5:15 am

Oh I love to hear about real little Henrys (Henries, I typed first) and what a lovely write-up. Thanks so much.

4. Christa aka The BabbyMama said… November 16, 2011 6:59 am

Aw, seems very cute. I've been wondering about age appropriate where you came from info. As in, not bird and bees, but something cuter.

5. tamara said… November 15, 2011 6:55 pm

oh my goodness, this looks amazing. thanks so much for posting it! it will be perfect for my soon-to-be 3 yr old as his new sibling arrives.

6. jomama said… November 15, 2011 2:32 pm

do you have "when you were small" by the same team? it's also very sweet and funny. i think you'd like it if you like this one.

7. Alejandra said… November 15, 2011 1:20 pm

I have 3 boys, my youngest is 20 months and he's just now loving books, I'm getting this for Christmas. I love the illustrations, I'm sure I'll be crying.

8. Annie said… November 15, 2011 12:39 pm

I love this! It looks like it's from a bygone era of children's book illustrations.

9. likeschocolate said… November 15, 2011 10:57 am

SUPER DARLING!

10. heather fayson said… November 15, 2011 10:34 am

this looks adorable! ordering one now…

11. jen fuller said… November 15, 2011 9:52 am

i'm going to have to check this book out, my baby boy would love it! we are in the process of turning an entire wall in our apartment into a bookshelf because we love to buy a ton of books for any holiday! isn't it the best?Smoking Crayolas Blogspot

12. Sarah said… November 15, 2011 9:43 am

I've never read it but I can already tell I would love this book. The illustrations are lovely and have a fun vintage look to them. How cute that the characters name is Henry too!- Sarahhttp://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

13. gina f said… November 15, 2011 9:32 am

this look so sweet, what an awesome gift too

14. Cecilia said… November 15, 2011 6:37 am

this looks so precious. i kind of can't wait to see your toddler picks :)happy tuesday!