• 12 Favorite Children’s Books This Year

Building up a children’s library can be an intimidating task. Each week, Henry and I go to our local library and pick out books and then when we find one we love, I place it on a wish list to purchase for a special event (like a birthday or holiday) to slowly build his collection. If you’re looking to build a collection of your own here are 12 books that we’ve loved during his past year as a 3 yr old.  Of course it was so hard to pick just 12, they’re are so many wonderful ones. I’d love to hear any that you love as well!

Links:

Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel
    Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business by Esphyr Slobodkina
    Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
    Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Williams
    Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Williams
    The Empty Pot by Demi
    Where You Came From by Sara O’Leary
    The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
    Chicken Big by Keith Graves
    Trucks Roll! by George Ella Lyon
    Little Pea by Amy Rosenthal
    Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

1. Kayla Poole said… December 3, 2011 5:08 pm

all fantastic. three is a great age and four? ah, four year olds are incredible. enjoy it πŸ™‚

2. Kate said… December 3, 2011 11:50 am

You should try Scaredy Squirrel or Chester by Melanie Watt or Pete the Cat all really fun books that kids love!

3. Kate said… December 3, 2011 11:50 am

4. Sara O'Leary said… December 3, 2011 6:30 am

Great list – love the mix of the old and the new!

5. MegK said… December 2, 2011 1:47 pm

Blueberries for Sal and Verdi are more good ones.

6. --r said… November 30, 2011 10:33 am

i loved caps for sale too when i was younger (and bought it for either a niece or nephew years ago but we don't own it ourselves) and we had trucks roll! out for as many consecutive weeks as we could before we had to return it.a couple of our favorites from this year are the incredible book-eating boy by oliver jeffers and this truck by paul collicutt.

7. Bri (like the cheese) said… November 30, 2011 9:05 am

I LOVED Caps for Sale when I was a kid!! So hapy to see it made your list.When I was living in TN, there was a program called Imagination Library that would send any & all children in your home a book a month from birth until their 5th birthday. I know similar programs are available in other states too, all you have to do is sign up! Not all of the books are 'BESTS' but they're still books!!

8. Cathy said… November 30, 2011 5:55 am

One of my all time favorites is "hey Al" by Yorinks….great story, wonderful artwork and easy to read aloud and lots to talk about with your youngster when the book is over!

9. Carolyn said… November 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Stellaluna by Janell Canon will always be near my heart, and A Tree is Nice is so sweet and nostalgic. The Velveteen Rabbit is a good one for the holidays too.

10. Tiffany said… November 29, 2011 6:11 pm

We love "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" by Kadir Nelson and "Spoon" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Scott and Scott Magoon

11. Tiffany said… November 29, 2011 6:11 pm

12. Lyndsay! said… November 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Ever since I was a kid it's been Purple, Green, and Yellow by Robert Munsch. So good!http://craftanista.blogspot.com/http://www.etsy.com/shop/lsenerch

13. tamara said… November 29, 2011 12:38 pm

much agreed on little pea. jen corace's illustrations are so lovely and sweet.i would add "not a box" and nyeu's "wonder bear" picture book to the list.

14. jen fuller said… November 29, 2011 11:28 am

we are doing almost all books this year as christmas presents for my little boy (he's 8 months so he wont know the difference lol) and these are some great suggestions to expand our library, thanks!Smoking Crayolas Blogspot

15. Michele said… November 29, 2011 10:58 am

How do you choose is right! Love your choices. My children are a few years older, but I watch a 3 year old during my children's school hours and when we visit the library she loves:City Dog, Country Frog (it is a keeper – the pictures are dreamy), any of the Richard Scarry books, all of the Rosemary Wells books (Max & Ruby, Stanley & Rhoda) and she has just discovered the younger version of the I Spy Books: I Can Spy With My Little Eye…xoxo michele

16. Kevin and Kristina said… November 29, 2011 9:52 am

Great list Liz (and Happy b-day). We love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom too. Another favorite is Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman. Last year we only let parents/grandparents buy books for Andrew's birthday so that helped build up our library as well.

17. amanda said… November 29, 2011 9:01 am

These are great! I'm a secret children's book addict and have a list of my favorites here: http://changesomethingtoday.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/read/

18. Sara said… November 29, 2011 9:00 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

19. Sara said… November 29, 2011 8:59 am

You should definitely add Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to your list (if you don't have it already)! One of my favorites as a kid and now, 20 years later, I can still recite the entire beginning from memory!

20. Buddy Rooster said… November 29, 2011 8:57 am

Great list! Some of our favorites are There's a Monster in My Closet, Owl Moon, Officer Buckle and Gloria, Harry the Dirty Dog, Everyone Poops, Go Away Big Green Monster, and anything by Oliver Jeffers.

21. Christa aka The BabbyMama said… November 29, 2011 8:46 am

I remember Caps for Sale! So glad to see it on your list πŸ™‚

22. Andrea @ Strawberry Chic said… November 29, 2011 8:30 am

I'm always looking for great children's book to add to our wish-list! thanks for the suggestions πŸ™‚

23. Cecilia said… November 29, 2011 8:29 am

we just got so many good books for my daughter's birthday. her hands down favorite is the wheels on the bus.

24. Tamsin said… November 29, 2011 8:16 am

Great list! My own little guy, who is really into monsters and drawing, will be finding "Where the Wild Things Are" and "Harold's Purple Crayon" under the tree this year πŸ™‚

25. small + friendly said… November 29, 2011 8:02 am

I always love book suggestions! My son is a year younger and the library is one of our favorite places. He can't get enough of the little critter books right now.

26. Mal said… November 29, 2011 7:41 am

I remember a lot of these from when I was a kid, so many great ones!http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/