• Fall Trend: Geeky Glasses

A couple weeks ago I shared a babble slideshow about 15 trends for women this fall. I’ll be going into detail once a week for the next few weeks about each of the trends: what we {really} think of the trend, tips for making the trend work {for a real woman}, and where to buy it for a deal.

Are you feeling the geek chic glasses trend this season? I have fine vision but I still want to snag me a pair (is that weird?). The trend tends to be slightly over-sized with a range of styles that remind me of everything from my grandma to a sweet science nerd. I’ve seen them styled with both menswear and balancing a girly dress. Which style do you like best? Would you wear them (prescription or not)?

images 1, 2, 3, 4

The look Warby Parker Huxley $95
    The deal UO Holly Readers $14.00

Other options:
    Bonlook Jungle Chic Tortoise $99
    UO Flat Top Readers $6.99
    UO Clarkeye Readers $14
    UO Original Risky Readers $14
    Warby Parker Sinclair $95
    Webb from Warby Parker $95
    H&M Tortoise Shell Glasses $9.41
    J.Crew A.R Trapp Glasses $375

Unsure? I’ve compiled a slideshow on cool looks with your geek glasses on babble today for you to get some inspiration in putting together this look. Go here to check it out!

1. Anonymous said… October 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I completely agree with Anonymous (9/21/2011). Ironically, I actually sprained my ankle, had to actually use crutches and I had no idea how to use them. My friend asked, "Haven't you ever played with crutches?" I looked at him incredulously and said no. This is going too far. People with great sight wearing nonprescription glasses, people wearing glasses with no frames, people keeping their RealD 3D glasses and wearing them. This style is nonsense unless you actually need glasses and if you did, why would you want to wear these big arse frames that take up half your face only to have to trade them in a couple years later. I'll always prefer timeless fashion.

2. Katie I KCandCo said… September 23, 2011 8:31 am

I totally don't need glasses but sometimes, I wish I did!

3. Maggie said… September 23, 2011 6:00 am

I love geeky glasses! I feel like they are very hipster and edgy and I love when I pair them with something chic and girly. Something about blending such contrasting styles totally perks my fancy.I have some Warby Parker's glasses and that company is fantastic! Not only did I get excellent customer service when I made a mistake on my order, they donate glasses to people in need, AND their styles are amazing. I've never had a better experience buying glasses.

4. R-Eight said… September 22, 2011 7:55 am

Loved your slideshow on Kirtsy!

5. jen fuller said… September 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Pregnancy did a number on my eyesight! I NEED glasses, badly actually, after I had my little boy…so I think the geeky glasses would be perfect! Smoking Crayolas Blogspot

6. Liz Stanley said… September 21, 2011 8:38 pm

wife of a soldier, awesome! going to check them out now

7. Amanda said… September 21, 2011 7:56 pm

I agree with Sarah — kind of ridiculous.

8. Wife of a Soldier said… September 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Gymboree has cute nerdy glasses on sale now for kids! :)

9. Sarah Philips said… September 21, 2011 6:54 pm

A little ridiculous I agree but love the look!

10. debbiecutieface said… September 21, 2011 6:42 pm

I love geeky glasses but I feel like I'd look silly in them! Plus, I have 20/20 vision…heh.

11. gina said… September 21, 2011 2:05 pm

ooh i love them! yes! get some!

12. Andrea @ Strawberry Chic said… September 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I actually bought a pair of big geeky 80's glasses last Halloween to go with my 80's business women custom. My husband seriously thought they were hott and wanted me to wear them more often..haha! I haven't yet, and I don't think I will (they don't even have any glass in them, I had to take it out so I could see because the prescription was too strong!) But I am warming up to the look and would consider buying myself a pair in the future.

13. Anonymous said… September 21, 2011 12:44 pm

I don't really think this is a Fall trend. Haven't people been wearing those awful hipster glasses for a while now?

14. NauticalWheeler said… September 21, 2011 11:58 am

I love the geeky glasses. I don't think I could pull it off. Very few styles look good on me.

15. jomama said… September 21, 2011 10:44 am

i love warby parker! i'm just about to order some glasses from them after using their home try-on program. (actually this is the third time i've done their home try-ons!) $95 for frames that include prescription lenses is a total steal, plus, warby parker gives a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair that you buy from them. kind of like the toms of prescription eyewear.

16. Liz Stanley said… September 21, 2011 10:12 am

Rebecca, love the shoot! I think I'm headed to buy a pair right now :)

17. Liz Stanley said… September 21, 2011 10:11 am

Eliza Jane, totally ahead of the times! Nice!

18. Liz Stanley said… September 21, 2011 10:11 am

Anon, it is a little ridiculous and don't worry I'll save you the good ones.

19. Rebecca - A Daily Something said… September 21, 2011 8:59 am

Love wearing glasses (non-prescription)…and I recently did a photoshoot for my blog, and I just had to add some geeky glasses!

20. JenniferO said… September 21, 2011 8:47 am

I just got new glasses recently, but I don't think they quite qualify as geeky. I definitely had the geeky glasses in middle school, though. I thought this article in the Washington Post this weekend was funny: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/are-hipster-glasses-over-how-they-went-from-geek-to-chic-to-weak/2011/09/13/gIQAITgRXK_story.html

21. Eliza Jane said… September 21, 2011 8:43 am

I started wearing "geeky glasses" about 15 years ago, in high school. I used to get teased. I was obviously way ahead of the time lol.

22. Sarah said… September 21, 2011 8:36 am

Love this. I so need to order some. I even got the order from the eye doctor. I just need to order some from Warby Parker. Good post!- Sarahhttp://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

23. FanFamFun said… September 21, 2011 7:19 am

i love the geeky glasses. x

24. Christa aka The BabbyMama said… September 21, 2011 7:01 am

I have actual glasses and the thick ones I use at home are pretty geeky. Thick tortoise frames. I have girlier ones for work, pink even! But I don't know if this trend is here to stay or what. I hope the messy ponytail look sticks around until my hair is all grown out!

25. Libby said… September 21, 2011 6:48 am

I'm into it. I ordered some Warby Parker glasses after reading about them on Design Mom. Love that they have a home try on program!!Also-as a long time glasses wearer I honestly have no problem with fine folks like yourself wearing glasses for fashion. Share the love Anonymous!

26. jillian :: cornflake dreams. said… September 21, 2011 6:24 am

LOVE these…but i feel kinda silly wearing glasses since i have great vision. ah well. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

27. Miss Bibliophile said… September 21, 2011 6:07 am

I love the geeky glasses trend! I recently found a pair of vintage frames on Etsy that I had redone in my prescription.

28. Anonymous said… September 21, 2011 5:44 am

Um, it is completely ridiculous for fine-sighted people to wear glasses. What's next? Designer crutches for people without injuries? Fashionable band aids or hearing aids? Please let those of us who must wear glasses have the cute glasses!