• DIY: Fourth of July Paper Sparklers

I have a little 4th of July craft tutorial on Momtastic today to make these fun paper sparklers. It’s a great idea for young toddlers that want to be part of the fireworks celebration but are too young to be trusted not to stick flaming sticks of fire up their nose (or someone else’s).

A few simple supplies required, most of which you already have hanging around the house (striped straws= big bonus!)

Toddlers aren’t the only ones not to be trusted with flaming sticks of fire. Your Great Granny might not even notice she was handed a paper one instead of a real one! Everyone wins!
    Full instructions here on Momtastic

1. pa[u] said… July 7, 2011 10:00 pm

is a great idea!July 14 is coming soon, French National Day … I will try with my kids! thank you!

2. Sarah @ SarahPlanet.com said… July 1, 2011 12:25 pm

Paper sparklers! I love that. Though I'm a huge fan of good ol' fashioned dangerous sparklers, these are so cute for children. I featured them on my blog :)http://sarahplanet.com/?p=1878Happy Fourth!-Sarahwww.sarahplanet.com

3. DebZorn said… July 1, 2011 11:08 am

I watch two of my grandsons, two days a week. Yesterday, we made the paper sparklers. The 8 year old did a great job(the 3.5 year old – not so much). But, they turned out great.I had him color white paper, the colors of his choice, to keep him busy a little longer. We had a lot of fun and I'm planning more craft project for him. (The little guy only wanted to color eggs so the Easter bunny would come:)

4. Victoria said… June 29, 2011 7:19 pm

These are adorable for kids who want flames in their hands! You are brilliant Liz.

5. Crystal said… June 29, 2011 10:02 am

these are SO CUTE!

6. Liz Stanley said… June 29, 2011 8:31 am

Barbie, it probably won't work as well but you can try regular printer paper? The thinner the better. Maybe even tissue paper?

7. Barbie // Birds of a Lovely Feather said… June 29, 2011 7:28 am

This is great, Liz. I don't have vellum paper on hand. What other paper would you recommend?

8. Ajay said… June 29, 2011 5:54 am

Great Granny thinks casual ageism ISN"T cute, sweet adorable, creative or clever.(But is willing to send you off with a kiss after reminding you of your manners : )

9. Janet said… June 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Now that's clever. Why didn't I think of that? What a great idea :)

10. megan said… June 28, 2011 2:11 pm

SO cute! haha, cute enough to make for me and my grown friends (in addition to the real deal, of course).

11. patricia said… June 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Cute idea! Perfect for young kids, I agree

12. Liz Stanley said… June 28, 2011 12:28 pm

elizabeth, the link is in the tutorial for where to buy the straws. lulus i think?

13. Hilary said… June 28, 2011 10:32 am

Liz, you are so creative. That is such a perfect idea for my son, who is 19 months and will no doubt want to get his hands of a real sparkler. Thanks for sharing!

14. Ana Degenaar said… June 28, 2011 9:44 am

SO adorable.

15. elizabeth moore said… June 28, 2011 9:16 am

where are those straws from? think they're essential to this project. i must know

16. Gloria said… June 28, 2011 9:12 am

those paper straws are perfect for this – what a cute idea!

17. heidi said… June 28, 2011 9:07 am

these are so sweet! love them

18. Whitney said… June 28, 2011 8:28 am

SUPER cute! And safe, which is key. Thanks for the inspiration to start planning out the activities for Independence Day! Have a Happy Day today, Whitney from Consider Yourself At Home

19. jillian :: cornflake dreams. said… June 28, 2011 7:21 am

aww what a good idea! honestly im a little afraid of the real deal sparklers so these would be perfect for me! or the kids :) xoxo jillian:: stop by! i'm hosting a jewelry giveaway