• Rainy Day Marshmallow Building

Rainbow toothpicks were used of course.

We built a few playground structures for marshmallow people to play on

And a tall tower for marshmallow for monkeys swing on

After we got sick of building structures we made a few simple shapes and then cooked up some rice krispies treats with the leftovers.

Really fun. A little sticky and a yummy result.
    Rating: Four stars!

{marshmallow activity seen at Classic Play}

1. lisa ann conrad said… October 13, 2011 10:49 pm

raw spaghetti noodles and marshmallows would be safer and you could break the noodles for different heights and sizes. add using a little of colored water with food coloring with paint brush for the marshmallows let dry then eat. what a fun treat that would be.

2. Kristen Duke Photography said… March 8, 2011 12:19 pm

nice photography with that last shot! my boys would love this activity!

3. Lisa Maria said… February 28, 2011 7:46 pm

This is such a cute idea! Next time I babysit, this is definitely going to be the craft activity. It reminds me of a science project I did in elementary school…

4. Little Lj said… February 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't have kids… but I might just do this anyway!

5. Michelle said… February 25, 2011 8:31 am

What a great idea! Lady, you are mad smart, and boy does that look like fun. I am saving this idea in my brain storage for future reference.

6. Liz Stanley said… February 25, 2011 8:26 am

Alicia, that app sounds like so much fun! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

7. Liz Stanley said… February 25, 2011 8:25 am

Lori, that is so funny you've used this in school with older kids. It's quite challenging for any age!

8. Liz Stanley said… February 25, 2011 8:25 am

alyssa, yes! please give it a hug for me 😉

9. Alyssa said… February 25, 2011 5:28 am

i like your blog! you used to live in hoboken? i live here now and LOVE it! 🙂

10. Alyssa said… February 25, 2011 5:27 am

i like your blog! you used to live in hoboken? i live here now and LOVE it! 🙂

11. Jen C said… February 25, 2011 4:46 am

This is now one of my favorite activities. So happy your guy had so much fun with it. His structures are fantastic. Oh and love the addition of the colored toothpicks. We must try it! Jen from Classic Play

12. Tricia said… February 24, 2011 10:21 pm

that looks like so much fun for everyone!

13. Brendan said… February 24, 2011 7:59 pm

That is a super cute idea! My little guys will LOVE it.

14. {lovely little things} said… February 24, 2011 5:40 pm

What a creative rainy day you had!

15. Michelle S. said… February 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Absolutely love this idea. Definitely picking up toothpicks and mini marshmallows the next time I go to the grocery store!

16. Alicia @ One Rae Sister said… February 24, 2011 1:37 pm

FUN!! Reminds me of the app I had on my Android called 'Spaghetti Marshmallows'. Premise of the game is to build structures out of a limited supply of raw spaghetti noodles and marshmallows to get a marshmallow through a ring. Hours of fun!

17. Lia said… February 24, 2011 1:16 pm

This is too cute. Your photos are great and I'm definitely trying this with my 2-year old!

18. Melanie's Randomness said… February 24, 2011 12:52 pm

That's adorable!!!!

19. Chrissy said… February 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Wow, perfect rainy day kid craft!

20. Little Tree Vintage said… February 24, 2011 12:32 pm

aw this looks so fun! love it!

21. Natalie Suarez said… February 24, 2011 11:57 am

this is too cute! love it :)natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

22. Brittany H. said… February 24, 2011 11:35 am

I remember making these at school when I was a child and getting all nervous that I wouldn't get to eat any. Lol. I forgot how fun this was. Happy day!PS- I'm hosting my first GIVEAWAY on my blog! Please come and see!X

23. Bethany said… February 24, 2011 11:00 am

How cute, I've never heard of this!

24. Emily said… February 24, 2011 10:31 am

Great idea! And great structures too. 🙂

25. Jocelyn said… February 24, 2011 9:30 am

Ah, that looks so fun! Thanks for the idea! I may have to try some with my little first graders!Playing It Cooley

26. Lori C. said… February 24, 2011 8:31 am

I have used this idea often as an after-school project specialist–it is fun to see some tough inner-city 12 year-old boys and girls really get into this.

27. Rachel said… February 24, 2011 7:25 am

After a week of 50+ degrees, it snowed in SLC again this past weekend. My kids are anxious and I'm getting a little tired of cleaning up painting supplies + twice a day baths.This idea is so great, thank you for sharing! And speaking of rice crispy treats, have you tried the brown butter version from Smitten Kitchen? SO GOOD.http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/11/salted-brown-butter-crispy-treats/

28. Raffles Bizarre said… February 24, 2011 7:05 am

Hehe cute idea!Reminds me of my first week in uni, we had to see who could build the biggest structure out of wine gums and dry spaghetti! The first day was fun, the next two were just infuriating!