• Salt Lake Thrifting Tour

I led a thifting tour during Alt Summit with a fabulous group of girls and wanted to share with you my favorite thrift stores in Salt Lake that we visited with the group. But first, some treasures I found:

Vintage powder blue checkbook/wallet, $7. Find a similar one here on ebay.

I like how a section flips open for photos (or business cards etc). I might switch them out for a continuous stream of Hank as a sweet babe. You never know when those might come in handy. “Sure officer, let me get my license and registration. Let’s see here….oh whoops! How did these adorable baby pictures fall out?!? Look at this one in a polka dot jumper! Oh, and here he is eating peas for the first time! What a cute mess!”

This $28 silk dress was an amazing find at Decades. Total reminds me of something from Kate Spade. I’m going to make some adjustments to it so you’ll have to stay tuned to see the final result (fingers crossed I don’t screw it up!). Find some vintage polka dot dresses here on etsy.

Vintage rainbow umbrella, $5. I bet you didn’t even know you needed one of these. Oh, believe me, you do. Find one similar here on ebay.

$2 blue linen vintage book. So pretty on display. Sounds like a romantic story too. Find one similar here on ebay.

We only hit the first four, but I thought many of you out there might enjoy looking through this.  This list is by no means comprehensive, just a selection of my favorites. This first DI isn’t necessarily the best, it was just the most convenient to the conference.

Deseret Industries– this is a classic second hand salvation army/goodwill type store. There are literally hundreds around Utah. Clothing, furniture, books, trinkets, shoes, etc, not necessarily vintage, just second hand. Often treasures are priced far below their value. Lots to be found here!
    131 E 700 S, Salt Lake City, Utah
    Other locations:
    2234 Highland Dr
    Salt Lake City, UT 84106
    743 W 700 S
    Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Decades– clothing, shoes and hats, some jewelry. This is a great costume-y type vintage store with a lot of stuff from decades 20s to 80s. All vintage. A real favorite amongst vintage seekers.
    627 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT
    Elemente- mostly furniture and home goods, a really great selection for mid century, quirky pieces from the 40s- 70s. Very affordable pricing. When we lived in Salt Lake I pretty much furnished my entire home from this fantastic shop.
    353 Pierpont Ave Salt Lake City, UT (they don’t open until 12!)

Abode- really fun selection of vintage home goods. It’s a small store but packed full of treasures. A great vintage children’s selection as well.
    1720 S 900 E Salt Lake City, UT

The Green Ant- mid century furniture and great selection of vintage clothing in the back. A little more pricey
    2011 S 1100 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Now and Again-vintage home goods/furniture
    501 E 300 S
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102

Home Again-vintage home goods/furniture
    1019 E 2100 S
    Salt Lake City, UT 84106
    There are many others, did I miss one of your favorites in Salt Lake?

1. Kitsune-kun said… March 22, 2011 10:50 am

Consignment Circuit on 33rd South is also really great

2. teri said… January 29, 2011 8:54 am

I see so much awesome potential in that blue polka dot vintage dress!

3. chelsea said… January 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Wish I could have gone on your thrifting tour. Thanks for this resource guide!

4. Liz Stanley said… January 27, 2011 8:20 pm

anonymous–haaa that is hilarious! so i did NOT know that's what it was about! i don't know if i can keep it on my shelf. oh wait, i can. because it's so pretty.

5. Anonymous said… January 26, 2011 6:49 pm

You do know that Sons and Lovers is about a mother who has sex with her two boys after she becomes estranged from her husband, right?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_and_Lovers#Plot_summary

6. paige said… January 26, 2011 7:39 am

i love thrifting…everything you found is great, i especially love the powder blue checkbook, it's beautiful!!

7. Terresa said… January 26, 2011 12:24 am

I'm in Provo quite often, don't make it to SLC as frequently as I used to. The DI & Savers in Provo & Orem are usually picked over, I blame the BYU students for that. :)Love your finds, I'm somewhat of a thrift ninja myself; if you're ever in my neck of the woods, give me a holler! (My Goodwill & Savers are the best local thrifting.)

8. Jess said… January 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Thank you for this post. When I move back to Utah I will be sure to go to these stores. But I am in Monterey now, And like what Ashley asked to you have any good selections for the bay area or any good Flea Markets around?

9. elissa, ebb & flow said… January 25, 2011 5:48 pm

that dress is incredible! very kate spade, i must agree.

10. Nicole said… January 25, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Misc. Boutique! This is a great store attached to The Green Ant on 179 East Broadway downtown. I have found great vintage clothes here from accessories to coats. Very good prices and she has some killer rummage sales each season too. dawnstag.blogspot.com

11. Elizabeth said… January 25, 2011 3:01 pm

I saw the polka dot dress in a tweet and loved it! Can't wait to see what you do.

12. Bryan and Sarah said… January 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Do you have an SF list?

13. Camellia said… January 25, 2011 11:52 am

Great list! I love the Green Ant. I'm excited to pay a visit to the others you mentioned.

14. Kristina said… January 25, 2011 9:31 am

Love thrifting!Amazing finds, love the dress and the wallet, so perfect!viele gruesse, Kristina

15. Brandi {not your average ordinary} said… January 25, 2011 7:17 am

Jackpot! I'm so amazed by these thrift store finds — especially that wallet. And I really can't imagine a way better to end Alt then discovering something perfect in a thrift store (though I spent my time back at the hotel chatting with friends and ordering lunch).

16. yours truly said… January 25, 2011 7:02 am

Great stuff! Emilie Jayne, as someone else mentioned, is really actuallly quite great. I always find something I "need" there:)

17. Dee said… January 25, 2011 6:18 am

I am so lucky to have been on your fabulous tour!! I love my Jacki O suit from Decades, and my adorable smock from the DI. Isn't it amazing how photographing your treasures outside of a thrift store increases their aesthetic value?!

18. amanda jane said… January 25, 2011 5:09 am

ah, salt lake is such a good place to thrift!

19. Anna Liesemeyer said… January 25, 2011 1:07 am

I have heard how fantastic the thrift stores are in Salt Lake. That dress is a killer find!

20. Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2011 10:20 pm

The Wards, never heard of that one. Will have to check it out next time I'm in town! Thx 🙂

21. meowsk said… January 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Had so much fun with you girls the other day! It was definitely a treat to have so many designerly eyes about to spot the great finds and exchange opinions. Let's do it again next year!

22. The Wards said… January 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I love Grunts & Postures, 779 E. 300 S. in Salt Lake City. Oh, the treasures I have found there.

23. elizabeth antonia said… January 24, 2011 9:05 pm

thanks so much for posting! my husband, daughter and i are going to park city to visit my sis (and 5 nieces and nephew! yay!) and i have always wanted to go thrifting in salt lake. and i love your posts – i really tried to go without jeans too!

24. la petite coquine said… January 24, 2011 8:31 pm

What amazing finds-I'm particularly smitten with that amazing wallet!

25. Dani said… January 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Putting together a thrifting tour to round out ALT–a stroke of genius! You rocked at being our tour guide–thanks!

26. Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Natalie, yes! that's a great one. Not necessarily vintage though so I didn't include it

27. Callie Grayson said… January 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Great finds! and that fabric is brilliant, polka dots! can't wait to see what loveliness to this sweet dress!xxcallie

28. raina said… January 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Liz – thanks for the great thrifting and cool company. Can't wait till next year to check out the places we missed.

29. blog n' tell said… January 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks so much for the list…I was so hoping you would share where you had taken the ladies. Love all your finds….can't wait to see what you have in mind for the dress.

30. Amy said… January 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Every single one of those items is so beautiful! You have amazing taste.Have a nice day!xoxAmy

31. Shannon said… January 24, 2011 5:03 pm

I'll have to keep this on the down-low or my husband will never want to drive south to salt lake ever again. He'd lose me for days. I love Love LOVE that wallet! Love! xo, Shannon in Boise

32. AE Jones said… January 24, 2011 4:57 pm

INCREDIBLE finds! Love that wallet… and the dress. I'm so thrilled to have these shops to check out! XOXO!

33. Ashley said… January 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I love Decades, and DI of course. Thrift shopping makes me O so happy. I recently moved to the bay area… I know its large area but do you have any thrifting favorites around here or in San Fran? I would love to read a post about it!

34. Natalie said… January 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Logged on to add Emilie Jayne to the list. Love that place. Everytime I get to Utah, I must visit Emilie Jayne and Decades. They make me happy — and the scores are always much better than in California!

35. magdalena viktoria said… January 24, 2011 4:04 pm

such great finds! the wallet and umbrella are especially great.xx

36. Jill said… January 24, 2011 3:52 pm

love DI-ing! the one here in St. George is a gold-mine. also, if you're ever passing through…Urban Renewal is my absolute favorite. picked up a few treasures for our baby nursery last week.

37. Little Lj said… January 24, 2011 3:50 pm

I loveee that umbrella! You're right, I DO need one!

38. Colleen said… January 24, 2011 3:50 pm

I love that wallet! Wish I could have been there, I bet it was a blast! xo

39. Ainsley said… January 24, 2011 3:49 pm

i love decades! probably my favorite vintage store in salt lake!

40. Heidi said… January 24, 2011 3:44 pm

dying over that dress!! amazing find!

41. alix said… January 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Sassy Liz! That dress is still the BEST find ever….I have such envy over it and can't wait to see you struttin yer stuff in it. You are going to look gorg.Do you know I had that umbrella in my hand too?? I put it back at the last minute, it's soo good (the handle was fabulous too!). So happy it went to a good home. OK now I have umbrella envy too.*sigh*xoAlix

42. Liz Stanley said… January 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks Becky, I'm not familiar with a couple of these so thanks so much!

43. Ashley said… January 24, 2011 3:33 pm

What fun finds for a dreary winter's day. Hope you had fun, Liz!

44. Funky Kim said… January 24, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm taking notes! I can't wait to look through these stores!

45. Becky at VintageMixer said… January 24, 2011 3:32 pm

I love taking an afternoon to explore antique shops. Here are a few others in SLC worth checking out:Emilie Jayne800 East 800 SouthCapital City Antique Mall959 S West TempleRetro Rose207 E. BroadwayChic and Unique778 South 300 West