• DIY: Big Bow Christmas Wreath

I’d never made a homemade wreath before but decided it would be a fun project to try this year.

I found the perfect color green bias tape (that was kind of more like ribbon) that I wrapped around a styrofoam wreath.

I placed pins in the back every 3 inches or so to make sure it was all held in place and wouldn’t shift much.

Then, right at the end I ran out of the green bias tape. Ahh! Who would have thought 15 yards wasn’t enough? So I had to supplement at the very top with some satin ribbon I had that was a similar color.

Are you really surprised I stuck a huge bow on it? Come on.

I liked it so much I made a second smaller one for our front door. I had to use satin ribbon though because I was out of the other stuff. I think the bow was better on this one. As a general rule, the second bow is always better than the first.

1. Liz Stanley said… December 7, 2010 5:27 pm

kalani, it always stressed me out though because there are so many project I want to do. ahh!

2. Kathleen said… December 7, 2010 5:26 pm

So perfect, Love it!

3. kalanicut said… December 7, 2010 4:04 pm

These are so beautiful. It's so much fun to see all the little projects everyone is working on this holiday season. I'm eating it up big time every day.I'm off to my two styrofoam Christmas trees & a stack of wrapping to do — with great inspriration in hand. 🙂

4. R-Eight said… December 7, 2010 2:27 pm

Love!

5. melissa deakin said… December 7, 2010 2:10 pm

just saw your link to the bow in the other comment.thanks so much!

6. melissa deakin said… December 7, 2010 2:09 pm

this is gorgeous.i love it so much.i still haven't hung anything on my front door, because i haven't found anything i like.perhaps i could do this.is there a quick and easy way to make that gorgeous bow and is it made out of fabric?thanks so much!i love your blog so much!

7. Jana said… December 7, 2010 2:07 pm

how funny you posted this today. last night as i was in bed i thought about the panic that i left your house in and that i had forgotten to ask you about your DARLING wreath on the front door. i will be making one soon 🙂

8. Liz Stanley said… December 7, 2010 12:21 pm

geri e., here's a link to making a big bow. I didn't actually sew though. I just folded and pinched with ribbon.http://www.sayyestohoboken.com/2010/04/diy-big-bow-pillow.html

9. robin k said… December 7, 2010 12:05 pm

Love them.

10. elissa @ faucethead said… December 7, 2010 11:56 am

i like the satin one as well. gotta love happy accidents.

11. geri e. said… December 7, 2010 11:45 am

I'm off to JoAnn's to get me some supplies! But how did you make that fantastic red bow??

12. Brooke said… December 7, 2010 10:02 am

I love seasonal wreaths especially ones that are not typical. I love your wreath and I am equally in love with that window's gorgeous wood trim next to it. 😉

13. Liz Stanley said… December 7, 2010 9:44 am

jamie, your toilet roll one is amazing! wow, what a great idea

14. Liz Stanley said… December 7, 2010 9:43 am

Kristine, oh my goodness. I actually tried making a yarn one once and gave up after about 10 minutes. you are patient!

15. Jamie said… December 7, 2010 6:57 am

i made a yarn wreath too, and one out of toilet paper rolls lol!mine is the blue one, 3rd down:http://sytpaper.blogspot.com/2010/11/ring-around-doorway.htmlhttp://sytpaper.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy-toilet-paper-roll-wreath.html

16. mskaz said… December 7, 2010 6:47 am

Oh I love that! And I agree, you make awesome bows.

17. Ashley said… December 7, 2010 6:37 am

How adorable! I like the sheen of the satin, too. Your bows look great…I always admire anyone who can make a great bow. They really stump me!

18. Kristie Lynne said… December 7, 2010 6:28 am

Super cute. I just made one out of yarn. And you thought bias tape was tedious. Haha. http://kristielynneforzese.blogspot.com/2010/12/gettin-crafty.html