• The Ice Cream Cake Tradition

You’ll have to head over to Alphamom today to see my guest post about the funny story behind our family tradition of the ice cream cake.

1. Mom in Mendon said… November 18, 2010 6:20 am

Betsy is brilliant.

2. Jackie said… November 17, 2010 3:42 pm

so beautiful, you make it look amazing, can't believe it straight from a box

3. the southern hostess said… November 17, 2010 8:28 am

I love it! It's so pretty too.

4. bright lights, big cities said… November 17, 2010 12:35 am

very funny! but you make it look so hip in your pics! and now it's going to be a sensation!!

5. jenn h said… November 16, 2010 6:14 pm

That is HILARIOUS! I LOVE your mom. Why arn't we best friends again? That story along with your family vaca story to NC during hurricane season are the best! Actually, I think I was best friends with your mom in a previous life…Possible? I think so.

6. whitney said… November 16, 2010 2:22 pm

i think this is such a great idea – i might have one for my birthday!

7. Jane Simon said… November 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Cute story and pretty images!

8. Liz Stanley said… November 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Yes, Akiko, Allie is right. It's just one of those cheap generic blocks of ice cream. my parents knew we weren't picky about our sweets!

9. Allie said… November 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Akiko, I think the funny part of her story is that it is not an actual ice cream "cake" (like the Nestle ones) but simply a 1/2 gallon block of generic ice cream taken out of the cardboard. In this case the vanilla-chocolate-strawberry stripes just came that way. It's a popular "flavor" called Neopolitan. You can find it in every brand of ice cream here pretty much.

10. Bryan and Sarah said… November 16, 2010 12:06 pm

I like that tradition! Your parents seem very cool!

11. Akiko said… November 16, 2010 11:36 am

Just found your blog through Alphamom. Your story made me remember of my childhood in Brazil where Nestle used to have these rectangular cakes that came out of the box ready to be sliced – just like your photo. Where do you find this kind of icecream cake in the US? Or, do you assemble in a rectangular pan with three flavors of ice cream? By the way, your blog is adorable!