• DIY: Satin Embellished Tee

Okay, I’d like to promise that this one is the last but I had so much fun with this technique that I’m already itching to try another one.
    What I really like about this one is that because the ruffles are all sewed down, it’s not too ‘big’ or lioness looking. Also, I like how kind of messy and haphazard it looks. Which is exactly what it was.
    I started off with some satin that I had ruffled, leftover from this cardigan project last month. (FYI: Here’s how to make a ruffle)
    I pinned the ruffle to the tee in the general pattern I was thinking of and then sewed along the already existing middle stitch.
    Then I started just sewing down the ruffles, very randomly and with the only plan being to stay on the ruffle and not to bunch up the stretchy shirt. Every little bit I would take it out of the machine, look at it with a squinty eye and decide what general direction I needed to start sewing next.

This is what the stitch looks like on the inside. See? I told you it was crazy. The bobbin and I didn’t get along at one point; things got messy, but luckily it’s only on the inside. You do have to be REALLY careful with these stretchy tees not to stretch them as you’re sewing the ruffles down, and not to ruffle the tee. The seam ripper and I became pretty decent friends during this project. But I really like the result. I’m wearing the tee as we speak 🙂

Other refashioned shirts and embellished tees I’ve made you may have missed:
    Plum Ruffle Tee
    Refashioned Cardigan
    V-neck Ruffle

1. Becca said… March 21, 2010 4:11 pm

i cannot tell you how much i spend at j crew for this type of tee shirt. sooo happy to have found this 🙂 thanks!!

2. liz stanley said… March 8, 2010 1:16 pm

When I'm sewing the fishing line onto the fabric I just kind of hold it at one end of the fabric and make sure to make the fishing line way longer than the fabric in case it shifts. After it's sewed on top I usually tape the end to the fabric when I'm pulling it into a ruffle. Or you can make a big knot too. You do have to be gentle with it so the fishing line doesn't pull through

3. Scooter Couple said… March 8, 2010 12:42 pm

So, now that I figured that out, how did you secure the fishing line to the fabric? Did you sew one end of it down with a straight stitch or did you just hold it with your hand?You've inspired me and I can't wait to try this out!

4. julia said… March 8, 2010 10:47 am

you are getting really good at this. if i were closer i would request a ruffle craft night.

5. Elizabeth said… March 8, 2010 5:37 am

You're right, some ruffles look out of control. I like this muted one 🙂

6. liz stanley said… March 6, 2010 6:12 pm

Lisa, yup exactly.

7. Scooter Couple said… March 6, 2010 12:01 pm

Love all the ways you're refashioning your clothes with the ruffles!I was looking at your ruffling tutorial and have a question: how do you create the ruffly by pulling on the fishing line? Do you secure one end of the fishing line to the "tube" so that when you pull the fishing line, the fabric bunches up and ruffles? It seems like if it's not secured, than the fishing line would just pull right out.Help?Thanks,Lisa

8. joanne said… March 5, 2010 11:51 am

this is beautiful liz, what a great talent

9. Meet Virginia said… March 5, 2010 11:19 am

this is gorgeous! i love love you blog you are so creative!~Morganhttp://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/ http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

10. Sarah Wade said… March 5, 2010 10:01 am

i love all these you're doing, keep it up!

11. liz stanley said… March 5, 2010 9:54 am

The shirt is from H&M!

12. Crystal said… March 5, 2010 9:49 am

so great, i also like that it's sewed down and not as dramatic as a big poofy one

13. milk tea + polka dots said… March 5, 2010 9:40 am

Looks fabulous! Very JCrew-esque! Love the cut of the tee. Stretchy tees are my favorite. If I may ask, where is it from?

14. Heather said… March 5, 2010 8:25 am

wow. seriously awesome. very j.crew looking!

15. Chris said… March 5, 2010 7:17 am

I love this one! Looks easy too.

16. Jeanette said… March 5, 2010 5:59 am

Your talent amazes me. I can barely thread my lonely sewing machine. I send all these posts to my girlfriend who can sew, hoping she'll get the hint and make me one. Nothing yet, but I'll keep trying!