• Alt Recap

Photographer: Brooke Dennis

Alt was so much fun and incredibly inspiring. I’m still on the alt high and trying to process all I learned. Also, still giggling about Dooce’s opening line “I hope you are all enjoying your complimentary sister-wife you received at the airport”. Oh yes, yes I am.

These photos above are from the opening social party. It was Old Hollywood themed and super glam complete with cigarette girls. I really think there should be cigarette girls at every party.

Above are the business cards I printed out at the last minute for Alt.

Below are some of my favorite bits of advice from the conference. Apologies if I’m citing them incorrectly, they’re from my notes:

Apartment Therapy started after 9/11 as Maxwell went around Manhattan helping people fix their homes- all came from a sense of providing a service to its readers. People come to blogs to learn.

Jonathan Adler says the secret to success is panic! Panic can be a driving force when you have the responsibilities of running your own show- Maxwell, AT

Martha Stewart is OVER people! No more perfection, be real- Maxwell, AT

If you don’t want to hear someone’s feedback on something, don’t share it. Also, definitely maintain a PO Box- Dooce

"People are readers, not users. Only bloggers and drug dealers call people users." Neil Chase of Federated Media (HA!)

1. Rachel@oneprettything.com said… January 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm loving these glimpses into alt. Love the business cards as well.

2. Suz said… January 27, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for sharing! great blog! PS I just moved from Hoboken over summer. :)

3. Kira Franz-Knight said… January 27, 2010 10:47 am

my favorite was that "your ads should be like jewelry" (I wrote it in my notes too!) and how much are you crushing on Maxwell(sigh)…

4. liz stanley said… January 27, 2010 8:57 am

maggie, yes we totally need to meet up

5. Jeanette Mc. said… January 27, 2010 7:49 am

Thank You. I'm about to open my first Etsy shop and these words of wisdom are priceless. Great cards!

6. Maggie Mason said… January 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Now that we're home, let's go get coffee. I've had time to nap.

7. Joslyn said… January 26, 2010 4:47 pm

oooh great recap lady!so glad we met and got to have sushi together on Friday.you're pretty fantastic! ;-)xoxox

8. Becca Ricks said… January 26, 2010 4:33 pm

love the last quote. that is 100% true.

9. rebecca glen said… January 26, 2010 3:20 pm

wow, what great tips! love your cards too, liz

10. ruthandnancy said… January 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Great post:) For the next 450 years, till things like alt happen in Hungary, I have your blogs to read! Also, what I learned from the whole thing: I might be the one to put it all together in my country. Ok, maybe after April, I'm due on the 30th with daughter No2!

11. Becca said… January 26, 2010 12:56 pm

love those business cards and thanks for your notes!

12. Natalie | The Bobby Pin said… January 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Great one-liners.And as I sit here at my office job – yes, yes, yes – I totes agree with that line.

13. Tammy Morrill said… January 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing a little peek into what Alt. was like!

14. kalanicut said… January 26, 2010 10:08 am

Love your business cards and thank you SO much for posting notes. Was so bummed to miss out on ALT this year. But love that so many attendees have been so generous to share notes! Thank you!

15. Melissa Y. Allam said… January 26, 2010 9:38 am

Thank you for sharing your notes here. I really wanted to go, but didn't get to. That's what I like about blogging. If we miss something, we know we can probably catch up with others who blog about it.

16. Teresa @ good-grace said… January 26, 2010 8:25 am

oh wow… these are great tips… not just for blogging, but for following your passion. Super post – hank you!

17. nicole said… January 26, 2010 8:05 am

man o man i wish i had gone to alt. thanks for the one liners from your notes.